Hi all, lately I discoverd the Zynthian platform. I was again amazed, what the open source community can bring. Wow what a great platform. Thank you, thank you all for helping creating such a great system.
I decided to use a 7 inch Generic HDMI display and create my own slim hardware design. Below my shopping list in case you get inspired :
- Hammond box : https://uk.farnell.com/hammond/1599ktsbk/box-abs-console-black/dp/1426586
- 7 inch screen (generic display) - RPI shop
- RPI 4 - RPI shop
- IQaudIO DAC Pro
- Flatcable : Female Header Flatcable Connector 40P - 2x20P
- Flatcable - Grijs - 0.5m - 1.27mm - 40 pins
Summary of taken steps:
- Careful cutting the bottom of the case to fit the connectors of the RPI and DAC
- Drilling holes in the case bottom to mount the RPI and DAC
- Remove the bottom connector of the DAC
- Mount the RPI and the DAC by using thick plastic rings
- Very careful cutting the side of the case top to fit the RPI connectors and remove one mount
- Careful cutting the back cover to fit the connectors
- Create a flatcable (50 cm) with two connectors, leave the ground (pin 6) and 5V (pin 4) for the display, solder the connectors to these two wires.
- Cut the case top for the display
- Glue the display
- Power up and configure as Custom Kit
The end result looks almost like a thick Ipad. Love the end result. Since the height is limited I had to connect the audio DAC with a flat cable and cut the connector at the bottom of the board. Oh and I ordered two cases in case of mistakes (and needed it).
I decided not to use the separate control board and use the on screen buttons, although there is enough room to fit the control board and buttons below the screen.
In the replies I’ll share some photo’s.
ps: I do not have any interest in whatever company I ordered the hardware. Just sharing my hard work