Snapshots compatibility

Hi,
For a last few month im looking for a little while to clean up and rework my zynthian snapshots. There are more than few. One snapshot for one song or performance (of which few I showed up here few times). I’m using a lot of cloning, transposing, keyboard range etc. I tried new oram (I like it), but for every day I’m still using last stable. And the question is: Is this make sense to rework my snapshots using last stable or wait patiently for stable oram because changes will be so significant and revolutionary that all my snaphots go to trash and there will be necessity to make them again from scratch?
Regards
Adam

Hi @ejdzi !

We do our best to keep compatibility among stable versions. Anyway, cloning feature is not trivial to migrate because it doesn’t exist in oram. We have a new (and better!) mechanism for layering sounds and legacy “clone configurations” can’t be mapped 100% to it without modifying assigned MIDI channels and routing, what would have side effects for sure. We need to validate a migration path for legacy snapshots using “clone” without creating more issues than solutions and this implies lot of testing with lot of snapshots.

My advice is you wait until oram, if you can live with it. You could also start migrating some snapshots to oram and give us feedback. If you find a reproducible path that works for your snapshots, this would help us to improve the migration tool. We really need the help of strong users like you, with lot of non-trivial snapshots, for validating the migration process.

The best,

1 Like

Thanks for this detail explanation. Ok. I will try to slowly convert to Oram paradigm and rework snapshots.
And by the way, is there still lack of some engines in Oram testing, like setBfree or maybe I have confused something?
Adam

1 Like

AFAIK setBfree works OK, as well as most engines.
Tell us if you find some engine that doesn’t work.

Regards

1 Like

Engines are now categorised. You must switch category to see others like setBfree. BTW setBfree and Aeolus have been improved in oram allowing more flexible configuration of manuals, MIDI channels, etc.

3 Likes

So, I’m diging in the Oram bookworm testing and I must say that I like it very much. All aspects and workflows are clearer and more flexible than ever before. But unfortunately all of my Snapshots gives an error when loading and loading proces hangs or breaks.

I think that I must prepare myself to reconstructig all of them one by one.
If I leave last stable on my old v4 and give Oram to my V5 I can easily do that with both side by side.
But if there would be a tool or option in snapshot menu to incompletely load legacy snapshot just to easier reconfiguration (f.e. only chains with engines and presets without cloning or other dependencies between them) there will by very handy.

Regards
Adam

We did a lot of work on snapshot compatibility. It looks like something may have broken recently. Can you post one of your snapshots here and we will look at what is wrong.

But I can only urge everybody to learn about the new features. Most probably the chains will look differently so that you rethink the snapshots anyways.
There are so many more options now. especially when it comes to cloning, which you don’t need anymore. Just change the midi channels and safe this setting as zs3…

1 Like

I think this one is complicated enough :smirk:
004-sanchez.zss (64.1 KB)