[Solved With Dongle] Wifi Issues anyone? [North Americans: Wifi Regulatory Setting!]

I’ve never managed to get my V5 to connect to wifi. Thus far I have managed to run a cable wherever but the day will come that I will need to connect to something.

First, you should check that the WIFI regulatory setting is right for your country. Default is ES:

root@zynthian:/# iw reg get
global
country ES: DFS-ETSI
(2400 - 2483 @ 40), (N/A, 20), (N/A)
(5150 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A), NO-OUTDOOR, AUTO-BW
(5250 - 5350 @ 80), (N/A, 20), (0 ms), NO-OUTDOOR, DFS, AUTO-BW
(5470 - 5725 @ 160), (N/A, 26), (0 ms), DFS
(5725 - 5875 @ 80), (N/A, 13), (N/A)
(5945 - 6425 @ 160), (N/A, 23), (N/A), NO-OUTDOOR, AUTO-BW
(57000 - 66000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

This should work for most of european countries, but you could adjust for your area by using a command like this:

iw reg set US

this will set the regulatory setting for United States:

root@zynthian:/etc# iw reg get
global
country US: DFS-FCC
(902 - 904 @ 2), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(904 - 920 @ 16), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(920 - 928 @ 8), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(2400 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(5150 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A), AUTO-BW
(5250 - 5350 @ 80), (N/A, 24), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
(5470 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 24), (0 ms), DFS
(5730 - 5850 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A), AUTO-BW
(5850 - 5895 @ 40), (N/A, 27), (N/A), NO-OUTDOOR, AUTO-BW, NO-IR
(57240 - 71000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

that is quite different to the european RF regulation.

There is a pending task for implementing an option this in the configuration tool, so this can be done without using the terminal.

Second, but not less important, you must realize that zynthian V5 aluminum case is quite “closed”, what is not good for RFW reaching the RBPi onboard antennas. There is little we can do because RBPi foundation decide to not put an antenna connector, so WIFI only works if you are close enough to the router and there is not too much RF pollution . If you need to improve this, a WIFI dongle would be the best option and it’s quite cheap.

All the best,

2 Likes

Thank you! The code is definitely gonna be the problem here, and quite frankly I should know to look for that, given how many times I had to set the locales in the early days of Pi. :>

It would definitely be good to at least get this more prominent in the Wiki - I genuinely chide myself for not figuring it out myself, but I am a person who gets paid to do Linux and Python so I should know; your typical musician might be a bit less tech-astute, and I will be using this onstage with my band and I intend to feature the logo prominently and talk it up to every keyboard and synth player I encounter - at this point it’s doing all keyboard duties except Hammond B3, which I had a Roland thing with nice key response for. The more user friendly we can get it the better.

I’m still periodically looking at the code and trying to figure out how I can kick a little work in. Maybe, as I get more handy with the UI, I can help with the wiki updates.

When I initially got the unit setup I assumed the problem was the closed case actually, and because I’ve had physical ethernet available up until just the last few days (wife has been away taking care of her mum and I’ve slowly moved my entire musical arsenal into the house; she comes home today and I am currently dismantling the whole thing and preparing to do a nice fresh setup out in the garage again…) I just never got around to trying again. I did briefly see my networks last night and the signal was 95% so I’m sure it’s fine.

Right now I’ve discovered a nice cozy little setup in the living room for focusing on getting my head wrapped around device and it’s out of reach of cables, and I think I wanna keep things setup here for a while. Maybe longer if I do :>

1 Like

Spoke too soon looks like, though that did need to be set. It was sitting at 85% signal when I re-added the network. Strange.

tried setting it with raspi-config…

Ok it is the case I guess - I did what I didn’t want to do and went spelunking for an old old dongle, and yep, connected right up soon as I plugged it in. We’ll call it semi-solved, till they release a Pi with a plug for an external antenna lol

1 Like