Success Cases

Pffffff… how dare you be so lazy and greedy !!

Well… I’m even more lazy than you in fact, as my Zynthian is still waitin for me to assembly the different boards…
Maybe I should follow you…

2 Likes

I set audio to ‘Rbpi On-Board Audio’ and then ran amixer cset numid=3 2 and it seems to survive reboots. Latency seems pretty low for me. SetBFree is very playable. As far as I know the HDMI on the pi uses the same audio bitstream as I2S, but the DAC will vary from screen to screen.

Display is set to Generic HDMI the following custom config

dtparam=audio=on
max_usb_current=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0

It looks like it should work with the waveshare 5 + usb but I don’t get any audio with it. (screen config is fine though)

Edit: this screen https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jun_Electronic-Raspberry-Capacitive-Screen-Monitor/dp/B07PKPMNZP
The hand in that photo must be teeny tiny!

Edit2: sound sample to sate the monocle. MDA ePiano.

4 Likes

Where do you store your stylus when it’s not in use? :wink:

17 Likes

Stylus!!! Wow, didn’t hold one since the last century…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice idea. I think I would have invented something too if I had not blown my touch screen when building my Zynth. I don’t feel I’m missing out that much, but I keep meaning to replace the screen and check it out again.

I did find though, that for the short time it was working - it was unusable without a Stylus.
Resistive screen though - a capacitive one would be nice.

I’ve decided to build zynthian from what I have laying around as my quarantine project, and here’s my almost success case. No fancy enclosure yet, just a box from frozen vegan patties, but still I’m happy with it.

Here’s what’s inside:

I’d like to say huge thanks to @riban for helping with arduino code

I also made pro micro act as usb midi device, so I can connect it to my laptop with simple micro usb cable. The code still needs some adjustments, though.

I plan to build nice enclosure for all this as a next step, and maybe add midi din input, if it won’t conflict with usb midi.

10 Likes

Hi,
well done.
Can’t the pro micro act as a bi directional midi interface ???

Well done @sleepy! :+1:
You chose your quarantine project well. :grin:

1 Like

I guess it can. Ableton sees both input and output.

At the moment I’ve only addressed the input in code, and it still has some issues with midi channels and sends everything on #1, but I’ll work on it. I might also try to add output later.

*Lurches resentfully, on to thread. Breathless, and dragging large unwieldy trolley toppling with third written scores & un-finished circuit diagrams . . .

Reaching for quill pen, glares at @sleepy . . .

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I thought that second photo can be considered the wiring schematics…
Just kidding, will add the schematics later today

:slight_smile: And quite where will that appear …?

Mutter, mutter, mutter, . . . .

1 Like

good question :slight_smile: is this thread suitable for this kind of content?

Probably best kept on the Arduino thread as that, as you say, is probably the novel element ( We’ve seen ahum ’ vegan pattie containers before’ :slight_smile: …)

The really useful information would probably be,
1/ Circuit diagram (get the hardware right first)
2/ Config data ( screenshots of webconfs help mostly here)
3/ Description of function. ( what get’s sent down the i2c, poled ? Interrupt driven?
4/ Audio sample to evidence the build and prove the arduino code: slow up and down on an encoder, filter or some such, will prove the encoder is interacting with the zynth.
fast movement would be interesting as well.

As I’ve proved countless times long waffly pieces are helpful but confusin. If we get one tightly defined write up then we can shift the appropriate bits and pieces over to the wiki

I don’t know how much of a declared protocol we have on i2c bus, certainly you & @riban have really opened it up with this work, but I for one would love to see a wiki friendly write up of what is required in this area.

Well Done!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am new here and thought I would share my new build with the community. A big thanks to all of you who are involved, it’s truly a great project and the best use-case for RPi that I have found so far!

I decided to create my own case and 3D-print it as a challenge. As you can see, the design is nothing special, but it came out nicely and eventually those side parts will be re-done in real wood to give it a bit more character :slight_smile:

The design is made for my specific “budget” setup, with a HifiBerry DAC+ phonejack version, and a cheap Waveshare 3.5" screen. I had as a goal to integrate the screen without screws through the case, and to make the LCD be as close to the surface as possible, to get a clean look. If anyone wants to adapt the design to their own setup, I have included the source file (Fusion 360) on Thingiverse.

All the best,

Leif

19 Likes

I’m getting increasing tempted by 3d printing…
Meanwhile, I assume you understand the ramifications of. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Congratulations @LAN! A nice build …
I would like to add your design to the zynthian-case repository, on github.
Would you like to make a pull request, so you appear as the contributor?

BTW … we would like to ear something from this beauty … jeje! :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Glad you liked it @jofemodo , I can certainly add it to the Github repo if you think it belongs there. Will try to find a little time for that tomorrow.

Yes, 3D printing is addictive @wyleu, be careful :wink:

1 Like

That’s really a great one…
When you make real wood cheeks, I would suggest that you make them a bit thicker… twice the thickness, maybe ?
But I would also see aluminium cheeks, same thickness as what is now… That would be nice too…
Anyway, it’s already nice this way…
I especially like the back, with the different layers (plugs panel being more internal than the top and bottom…)

@jofemodo, I created a pull request now with the files for the case.
Have to come back later with a sound clip :slight_smile: - a bit ring rusty with the music tech, was a long time ago I was active with music, so at the moment just playing it live and learning how it works.

@opus.quatre, yes with wood the side parts should definitely be thicker. I was bit impatient for the printing and make the parts as thin as I could :slight_smile:

1 Like