Success Cases

Been watching your photos again… Your box is full of pleasant details… The texture of the top cover’s surface… The “zynthian” in hollow, at the front of the box…

Been looking at the picturesof the different parts on thingiverse…
It looks really like a well conceived, and solid case…
and it’s very great that you decided share the files…

I was wondering 2 things :
Why no label under the encoders, such as back, layer, snapshot, select ?
Would it be possible that you modify the top of the case, or better say, make a second version, leaving only 1cm all around the screen’s window, so that people could use it as a bezel for their screen, even if they make their own box ?
And maybe, another alternative version, with only the widow and encoders area ?
Have a nice evening…
Thierry

Putting labels on the top is already on my to-do list, it would be nice to avoid putting stickers on it. Will update on Thingiverse once I get around to this.

About your second question, I am not sure I understand completely. I am open to making changes and providing alternate versions though, so could you explain some more?

Added an almost matching footswitch made from a repurposed barometer housing…

10 Likes

Introducing my first try at creating a Zynthian system !
Being stuck with an discontinued cable box, I decided to give it a second life.
Unfortunately the cover needs to be redone due to some issues while milling the opening for the screen and the viewing angle of the screen going upward rather than downward…
The build consists of a Pi4, home made MCP23017 io board, cheap PCM5102 audio output board (plan to use high quality usb audio device that i also have) completed with a 5" HDMI (touch) screen.
The case is semi transparent and there is still plenty of room on the front section to put some “useful” hidden indicators or maybe an oled screen / dot matrix inverted lcd or vfd… any ideas what would be useful to show there ??

The back panel still need to 3d printed and midi needs to added also.

13 Likes

Hi everyone, which sound card is used?

if your question refers to my build, on the card is printed "PCM5102MK V2.0 " (google pcm 5102 aidiy)
There is a “yellow version” without headphone output and a blue version with. In zynthian you select “Hifiberry Dac+ Light”. How to connect see Cheap PCM5102a board working.
I had to use a board like this, because of the limited hight that was available…

1 Like

Hi,
are you happy with it (I mean the pcm5102 dac) ?

Thanx for sharing…
Your box looks beautiful…
Where does it come from ?
It would be nice if you would add a few pictures on different view angles (side view, 45 degrees…)
But still, thanx…

Hello everyone, that’s my Zynthian!

Many thanks to all who made this project happen.

I build my Zynthian based on Rpi4 and the original Raspberry 7" Display. The housing is a Bopla of the shelf aluminum case. I used an SD-card extender to be able to access the SDC without opening the case. The fan’s keep the Pi4 at 46°C, it’s not disturbing, but in pure silence you may hear it.
For I’m using it with an Hohner Midi Electronium 2000 (accordion like Midi Keyboard), I use 9-12V P/S to power the Eletronium via the Midi cable.

20 Likes

@wokro that is beautiful - a work of art. Please share how you machined the case and printed the legends.

1 Like

I just used a jigsaw for the cutouts and a standing drilling machine, nothing very special.
The legends is a printed foil. I ordered it at a printshop. I just had to make a drawing with the cutout lines marked in magenta color. The printshop did then a colorpoint on self adhesive foil with a cutter printer. Very easy and at my printer shop not very expensive, something like 5-10 Euro per print.

This ist the printed adhesive foil

3 Likes

And that’s my Electronium 2000, for which I did the Zynthian.
I got this very cheap in the bay but without the midi expander module. To be able to have the original sound of old Hohner Tube Electronium from the 1950ies I needed a cost-effective sampler where I can create my own SoundFont.

5 Likes

Nice to see a 7" screen properly mounted. How is it attached?

That is soooo in need of a :face_with_monocle:

actually I’, need to consult the rules ( yes there are some…) as to quite how many :face_with_monocle: you need to provide. Don’t worry its all carefully prepared by our skilled team of advisors … Once they get back from Durham … :angry:

1 Like

Nice job Wokro :clap:

Very easy, I used the original mounting thrills of the Display. To hold it I put a Epoxy (PCB type without copper) in the Bopla housing - there is a possibility to slide in a PCB right under the surface. You may see this in the picture.

OMG ! What a beauty ! I want one !
“THAT CASE ! THAT CASE ! MY KINGDOM FOR THAT CASE!”
Shakespeare, Richard III
Queen, Lily of the Valley…

1 Like

@wokro: THIS case is fantastic! Thanks for showing!

@wokro

That’s really nice and a neat job on the internals. Whats the 3 mini boards you have above the Pi?
One looks like its running to the power. I just chopped my USB cable and attached it internally to the power socket - what are you doing there?

These are 3 Step down DC converters
one 5v 3A for the Pi4 another for the Display. The 3rd is 9V for the Electronium.
I use a external switched 12V/6A Adapter.