Suggestion, possibly for the Pi5 upgrade kit: aux monitor port

I’m not sure which is actually the heavier load on the Pi, but it seems to me like having an aux hdmi monitor plugged in would use less system time than running the VNC server(s)? If not, please disregard this question. If so, one (or two?) hdmi ports on the back would be handy. :>

1 Like

This is planned for a future version, but not for the Pi5 revision.
We need to make room for the HDMI ports in the back side. Perhaps removing the MIDI-THRU port or replacing the USB-B by a vertical USB-C. Not decided yet, and some prototype will be needed.

Regards

3 Likes

If USB-C has entered the picture, perhaps it’s easier to just enable video out of that same port?

My new laptop has a single HDMI and two USB-C, a hub with an extra monitor port or two is high on my to-get list, but I haven’t looked that closely at the spec of the Pi5 yet. USB-C seems to be moving towards being a catch-all port for everything.

edit: also, nothing wrong with micro-hdmi, you do have to buy a special cable but this is a special device. :>

I don’t like them. Much like micro-USB the connectors at small and have a tendency to fail. HDMI cables are also generally larger than USB adding strain to the little connectors.

I’ve been playing round with cables on devices and I’ve grown to dislike micro HDMI’s and the substantial cables they seem to require. Easy for them to move and become intermittent and if you have two monitors on them then you have a messed up desktop to maintain.

That’s before you power the monitor as well.

Type C USB, hopefully, will unify this world eventually, althou’ I’d like some positive latching, possibly provided externally. . .

1 Like

I agree with mini HDMI, worst than full.
I like to add a upgrade option for connecting M2 SSD as now possible on RPi5,
but this might need a dedicated board to fit inside, or re-use an existing extention but with an alternative flatcable to fit the baord inside the case.

1 Like

We are studying available SSD options. It should not be difficult to find a solution that fits V5.

Regards,

Look what you all did, MicroHDMI is crying now. Jeez you guys.

Don’t you start, I’m still desperately keeping some 15 pin Super VGA connectors alive for reasons that are becoming increasingly hazy.

And as for the centronics printer…

1 Like

I had a purge last week. It was painful but I did throw away some old serial cables and even a parallel port osciloscope in its original package with user manual etc. Sometimes you just have to admit that the thing you have kept for 35 years is probably not going to be used.

1 Like

:sob: I still keep an old Atari 1040ST (with Cubase) in my basement in the hope I someday can source the obscure D-SUB 19 cable that is needed to connect the Hard Disk!

1 Like

We feel your pain, brother…

Not sure how affluent you are, but have you googled lately? There seem to be some 1040ST-related 19-pin cables on ebay, but I don’t know enough about STs to say whether it’s the thing you’re after. Not cheap either.

Seems like the sort of thing one could build with some wire and ends, also - I don’t think they were embedding any chips in cables back then, but again, I was a Commodore kid so :>