Tailing development logs

How do people run their development environments? ssh shell and run zynthian-gui.py from their or something more exotic?

How do people tail the logs from a deployed system?

And how do people handle the pulling,pushing and branch naming . . .?
I have to start my own code branch and I’m keen to avoid polluting or regenerating. . .

Try to get it running on your linux machine.
And yes, if you test on the raspberry, stop the service, run the script manually and pipe the output to a file…or watch.
There is no file logging, because Fernando doesn’t want to let the zynthian consume any space.

Hi @mheidt!

Zynthian SD images have system file logging disabled. The problem is not space consumption, but SD card corruption. Anyway you are free to re-enable logging in your Zynthian Box. It can be useful in a development environment.

Regarding the version management, i recomend this procedure:

• fork the repository you want to work in
  • create one or more branches for your improvements / experiments / etc.
  • test your changes in your development environment and Zynthian Boxes
  • if everyrhing is OK, you could make a “pull request” :wink:

Currently i’ve a “nice” list of changes to validate, so perhaps it takes some weeks until your pull request is accepted. Sorry, i’ve too many tasks over my desk!! :anguished:

Kind Regards

1 Like

Hello,
To bypass SD card problems,and also to generate (much) more storage space, I have read several sources like

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

this new route claims to eliminate most of the SD cards problems, but again more hardware and power woulsd be needed for such a solution.
Some other pages also describe to put all temporary files into RAM, so they are automatically erased at power down - not putting stress on SD storage.

wonder if that could help to allow on-site log files, documentation, on site help and the like …

Now i need to go back to my Z-Box software testing …
regards, Tom

Hello,
I don’#T know if I have understood your question allright, so forgive me when my response is a bit too simplicistic …

I have just started to use ssh (putty) to find out more about the Z-Sytem. Works nice, but there are thousands of files, so doning anything “not harmful” is at least for my limited begginner’s knowledge not very easy. but in the long run ssh is a good choice. I wonder if the RPi capacity, while crunching all the Zynthian stuff, would still have the resources to run in parallel e.g. RDP with X11 desktop display via LAN or WIFI,to allow quasi on-line native program development with e.g pure data or even something like CSound; or if that should be done on a separate Windows or (preferred) Linux / MaxOS machine …

regards, Tom

I stripped out the switch logic to display the button presses from the basic zynthian-gui.py module…
and stuck it in a python module called zynthian_test.py . . . It simply allows you to see the different types of switch press on the different encoders but it has the tremendous advantage that it is self contained and runs simply by putting it in the /zynthian/zynthian-ui/ directory and running it with python3

python3 zynthian_test.py

I don’t know if I can upload code to this forum ( it’s a little bit too big for direct display) so if someone explains and the copyright holders don’t mind I will upload it. It’s helped me get my head round the encoder switches at least …
, ( I’m now off hunting for the encoder up & downs :slight_smile: )
It’s helping me get my head round the zynthian interface . . .

2 Likes

Hi @ wyleu!

To share your improvements with the comunity and allowing the integration in the main code base, please, use the procedure explained above. If you are not familiarized with git & github, it’s a perfect day for going forward with it and learn to use it. It could take a little bit the first time, but believe me, you will love it after some iterations :wink:

Kind Regards!