Testing Power/Connection to Display on V4 Kit

Hello!
I’ve just completed the building of my Zynthian V4 Kit. The OS is botting and I’m abale to ssh and web administrate the unit. I’ve also succeeded in activating WIFI.

One issue though which I am having difficulties is something I don’t know much about - the display connection. The screen currently remains black after system boot (even after waiting 10 minutes). I have configured the cable in two different ways listed below:

Method 1 - I noticed that the connection on the back of the display featured a two-prong, red stopper. So I attached the connecter cable to the left of the red stopper. Result:
The screen would flash gray quickly on boot and then nothing.

Method 2 - I removed the red stopper and attached the screen so that the cable occupies the connector evenly and each prong on the socket is inserted in the holes of the cable connector.
Result:
Nothing. Not even the gray flash.

Does anyone know how I might further my testing to figure out what’s wrong? Or any advice as to the nature of the problem?

Thanks!

Hi @TomTolleson!

It seems that you forgot to read the docs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As it’s warned in the docs, your display is probably broken now. Please, check carefully the way you connected the display against the tutorial instructions & photos. If it still doesn’t work, i could send you a new one.

Regards,

Hi @jofemodo, thanks for the reply!

It’s possible that I did it incorrectly but I did follow the document and here is how my cable is attached. It looks like the photo in the document.

When I mentioned the red jumper, I meant the stopper that blocked two of the leads on the far right of the connector on the display.
Was I supposed to remove that?

Yes. The jumper is there as an indicator which is pin 1. That should be removed and the 40-way connector located on all they 40 pins, oriented correctly at both ends.

1 Like

Ok thanks, Brian. I’m making some progress now. Though the Zynthian software is unable to detect the display (its grayed out in the web admin).
Working with hardware is new to me so I’m just guessing it’s able to get power but no actually receiving any of the data from Zynthian. I’ll keep at it and if anyone knows of any other tests I would appreciate knowing about them. Thanks!

But, did you read de tutorial? It clearly sets that you must remove the red jumper.

If you connected the display without removing it, you probably broke the display.

The reason to put this jumper was avoiding people to connect the display without reading the docs. We had a % of people connecting the display reversed and adding the jumper solved the problem until now. Anyway, don’t worry! A new display is on the way and i will try to improve the tutorial instructions ASAP… :wink:

Regards,

Thank you @jofemodo ! Apologies for misunderstanding the instructions.

Looking forward to the new screen. If you need anything from me let me know.

Cheers,

Tom

Ohhh … if you don’t break more displays i will be satisfied enough, but ravens probably think different. Some :face_with_monocle: should appease their appetite. You don’t want the ravens flying around your sweet home …

:zynthianic:

Anyway, until the new ZynScreen arrives, you could read about our “local traditions” …

The best,

Hello! I received the second screen. I installed it exactly as your instructions specified. It booted to a white screen and then nothing. I booted it again and now it’s black so I’m assuming this one is fried too.
Not sure there’s a next step to this as sending more screens isn’t working and wasting your efforts. I really appreciate the support though.

Ups! Perhaps it’s a broken ribbon cable or IDC connector … or something else.
Please, send me everything and i will check where the problem is and fix the unit for you.

If the problem is due to a faulty part, i will pay the shipping. If the problem is related with your mounting process, you pay, mate :yum:

In any case, you will have a working zynthian at the end. I can’t offer a better deal.

Regards!

1 Like

OK, so I will send you my entire Zynthian kit including Raspberry pi and screens. I’m assuming to the return address from the screen?

Could very well be my mounting process. I’m new to Raspberry Pi and hardware in general.

That works for me! Thanks!