The knobless zynthian

Now how about this for the fans of keyboard maps and transpositions …?

…and multiple presentations of the same USB MIDI device…

2 Likes

… much more impressive (for me) is the clean desk and the cableless design :joy:

In truth the picture did prompt a bit of a tidy up…

1 Like

What are these midi keyboards? They look slim and minimalistic - something that I am looking for. Are they any good ?

They are DUO-PIANO’s from Canada and sadly they are victims of the Covid affair, I have seen them on various sites but a cursory search now hasn’t turned up anything.

I was quite impressed with the quality of it all, but have just had to reseat a ribbon cable in it’s PCB connector to address some intermittent notes, although the ribbon routing seems a bit awry . . .

They separate into two halfs and the bottom half plays on it’s own.

I’m semi-wondering about making some kind of stand that holds them in the position I’ve shown above…

I keep one here for use with the zynthian in it’s half a keyboard mode. it normally sits under my rack mount zynth. The other is used by a piano tutor who takes it round to schools who frequently don’t have a piano in a free room. I’m told the kids are impressed by it, but I think the top half got dropped hence the intermittent.

Having them both together I’ve decided in my own glacial way to see if I can rig them up together and use them with the new MIDI capture facilites that the chain_manager branch has. It’s also an opportunity to test out the python-script device stuff as to get the duo piano to work you need to fire a MIDI note at it when it promptly wakes up. @riban wrote me a udev script to do this whilst I was still asleep in his spare room, such is the excellence of early risers. But it really wants re-doing ‘properly’ in our new world…

The idea of using keys to control the whole rig has not escaped me…

I have a semi-rule that I should be able to transport the gear on a bike so these keyboard are great for that, but they do need a flat surface to open on to avoid bending problems.

I have a Roland A-88 as well. That ain’t going on a bike, but all the classical pianists I know don’t have a problem with this DUO keyboard, after they have said they much prefer the Roland, until of course I ask them to help carry it into a woodland glade, a fair distance from the car park…

There are several 88 note fold-able keyboard out there now.

Thanks!

Two duo Piano’s plugged in . . .

root@zynthian-rack:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 7777:8899
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1397:0503 BEHRINGER International GmbH
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 7777:8899
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@zynthian-rack:~#

Both keyboards play but different mixer settings from this bag of bits…