Tiny audio out card

A really small output card… https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/audio-dac-shim-line-out
Good for many audio uses. :slight_smile:

Hi, do you own that extension ?
I’m curious about what they call a " clever friction fit header", it looks interesting to keep the total height as smal as possible, but I don’t get how exactly it is achieved.

It looks like they have made the through holes slightly small so that the pins are in contact with the copper through plating, i.e. the holes in the shim’s PCB act as sockets. It will be interesting to see the longevity of this design. Over time there may be a reduction in conductivity due to oxidation, wear, expansiong / contraction through heat, etc.

It’s only just been released. I will get one next week.
I have one of these - https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim - in my Pi-4 Zynthian homebrew and it works fine.
The point of these ‘SHIMS’ is that you can add a regular Pi card/ribbon cable and that will secure it.
In my Zynth that is the audio card.
I hope there will be one with audio input - imagine a Pi Zero with that… perfect for squeezing into a footpedal or USB controller keyboard!

1 Like

ok, so you confirm what @riban says about the way connection between the rpi header and the hat is done ?

It is a really thin PCB. The connection is secure, but better with a regular card or ribbon connected too.

ok thank you.

If you needed tiny and cheap, you can order a board from China

Using a 10 pin Cirrus CS4344 I2S D/A with 90db S/N, delivered by slow boat for a total of $2.78 (at least today) it’s not a hat, providing more layout possibilities?. If you have 3 shipped at a time, the per unit cost drops to $1.61 each (good match for a $5 Pi Zero)
The Zero version of the Audioinjector board, which has a Zynthian driver, is selling on Amazon for $16.90 (less than list price with potential free shipping) This uses a consumer grade chip with other facilities, like a headphone driver.

2 Likes

For the same price you can also buy something like this:

that integrates a Burr Brown DAC from Texas Instruments (PCM5102), that is very similar to the DAC included on most of Hifiberry cards.

Regards!

2 Likes

This has to be configured as “hifiberry dac light”

It works quiet well, but it surfers from not having mounting holes to attach it strongly in a box.

There’s a larger 5102 board offered on Aliexpress
5102 bigger board
Looking for info on it’s use of 3 - 3.3V regulators, I arrived at a 23 min video from 1018, where a guy examined the board in detail (He was commissioned to design a DAC board, some of his observations might be useful for someone designing a Compute Module IO host board with DAC and Zynthian expander built in)
Two of the regulators supply L & R charge pumps. The jumper selects I2S or LJ (Left Justified) interfaces.