Transpose on MIDI player

How easy would it be to add transpose to the MIDI player.?
It would be wonderful for accompanying and learning new stuff…

2 Likes

Just a thought — is it possible to implement midi or audio L2V plugins for our midi/audio recording systems, the same way we use it for layers ? Then there will be no problem to use transpose plugin for any midi file. What do you think ?

I agree that that is a much more modular approach, but this is really an exercise in simplicity. The midi player allows easy uploading of MIDI files and easy playing. We are using this as a way of distributing midi files and rehearsing songs. Once we have chosen the key for a song that suits the vocalist we want to be able to slow the track down (which we can already do) and transpose the song. We tend to use YouTube at the moment but that means we can only play in the original key. The midi player (like the audio player) is very simple and importantly easy to use for people who aren’t particularly interested in the complexities, but will work hard if they can control the device to slow up the midi guide track and quickly respond when the vocalist asks to raise it a tone or even a fifth.

Yeah, MIDI files are handy for practising.

At the very minimum, you’d still need to be able to pick and choose which channels to transpose. As in, typically you don’t want to transpose #10, but there could be others as well (sound effects and such).

1 Like

Excellent point about channel 10 and sound effects

Optimally you’d also want to be able to easily mute/unmute arbitrary channels at will - sometimes you want to hear the track you’re learning, sometimes you don’t, and switching this on the synth side is far too cumbersome to be practical.

Bonus points for ability to view embedded lyrics, probably requires an external screen to be usable though.

At this point the simple MIDI player would’ve grown into a karaoke player though :sweat_smile:

Yes, it’s becoming rather option rich…
Perhaps we need midi import on the step sequencer :smiley:

Transpose in MIDI player it is not a problem for our zythians guys, and we can use any MIDI-FX with the midi file played. For example:

Layer 1: PianoteqSteingraeber>E272
Midi-FX->JV/MIDI Chromatic Transpose
Layer 2: ZynAddSubFx>Bass/ Analogue Bass

I playback a midi file (“Liliacs”, performed by Rachmaninoff himself) and without any problem I can transpose anything playing back on channel 1, play along on the same channel or on the other one (CH No. 2 in this example)

Works great !

1 Like

Maybe not so easy for a classically trained violinist with a partial computer phobia!

I am classically trained (by force, not by The Force :slight_smile: ) pianist and it seems simple enough,
@wyleu ! Lot’s of joy for sure, leaving any phobias aside :wink:

@riban implemented MIDI import already, according to this update: Zynseq - A native step sequencer - #470 by riban

Although that sounds like a MIDI Type-0 per-track import, whereas for importing a whole song with all the instruments you’d want Type-1 support (but haven’t tried it so dunno).