Two or more Pianoteq 8.0 chains

Hello!
I’m having problems with creating two or more chains (ex one with Steinway, other with Rhodes MK1 etc…) with Pianoteq 8.0: I can create only one chain at time, when I try to create another Pianoteq chain it disappear from “Synth list”.
My Zynthian is upgraded to 2211 stable version

Thanks for help!

Marco

Hi @confa83 Marco! Welcome to the Zynthisphere - a wondrous place with weird but wonderful beings.

Pianoteq is one of several engines that are limited to a single instance. The others include: Aeolus, setBfree, sooperlooper. There is however a way to run multiple instances of Pianoteq and that is to enable the LV2 version (in webconf). You can then add several LV2 Pianoteq instances. The LV2 is slightly different in its preset list and also is more processor intensive (which is a bad thing because Pianoteq can be rather demanding), You may find that multiple instances will trigger xruns (manifesting as clicks on audio) because it is too busy processing to be able to deliver the audio in the required time. This is particularly true for multiple held notes, e.g. when using the sustain pedal and is probably the main reason that we limit it to a single instance of the native application. (LV2 multiple instances is a byproduct of the architecture and our implementation.) We do some other optimisation of Pianoteq to get it to play nicely including limiting the internal sample rate to half the jack samplerate, e.g. 22050, 24000, etc.

2 Likes

Hi Riban, thanks a lot for your help!
I’ve fixed my problem simply assigning to different presets (steinway/mk1) a different program change button (S1/S2).
Sorry, I’m quite a newbie with this!
Thanks again

Marco

1 Like

Yep! If you just want to swap between presets then you can do so on the same chain. You need different chains if you want to play the instruments simultaneously or switch between different instruments rapidly or want different MIDI / Audio processing. Note that the current stable version (2210) uses the legacy method of switching Pianoteq presets which requires a restart of the instrument when changing Pianoteq instruments. There is a significant enhancement (for Pianoteq 7.5 and later) in the testing branch which changes presets seamlessly. We hope to merge that into the stable release soon.

2 Likes