Using pianoteq MIDI recorder

The ability to use pianoteq in zynthian is wonderful. An awesome feature of pianoteq when run on a laptop is that by default it records in midi files everything one plays with high accuracy. This is awesome to compose, improvise and sketch things. Nothing is ever lost. Is there a way to use that feature of pianoteq within zythian?

1 Like

Zynthian has its own MIDI recorder. Is there a feature within the PianoTeq recorder that is missing from Zynthian MIDI recorder? I think it may be better to provide such features in the main recorder soon that all engines benefit.

Yes, but Pianoteq is constantly recording whatever you are playing…
Even when you didn’t intend to record anything…
You’re just practicing, improvising or whatever, and then you think that it’s been your best performance ever…
Then you can still listen to it again and verify that it was in fact your worst crap…
Pianoteq records your performance in .mid format so you can import it into your favorite (System of A) DAW, edit it, crop the interesting parts, etc…

On my side, I know that I never play as bad as when I know that I am recording… Pianoteq simply records what you play, without the recording stress…

The thing is to not forget to clear the recording folder now and then…

Have a nice evening or morning or day or night, all of you…
Thierry

3 Likes

Yep, that is a good feature that we may be able to add to Zynthian. We have been considering changing the audio and MIDI recorders for a while and such a feature request may inspire someone to do this. I completely agree that the record light adds pressure which changes a performance.

1 Like

We did talk about always on recording, but as @riban says the record tool has taken on a life of it’s own from what was originally a useful test tool. It’s got several limitations but works well as a sample grabbing tool ( … :face_with_monocle:).
Any insights into what would help improve it would be appreciated .

Having the zynthian record into midi file everything that is played at all times would be awesome. If size of files is an issue one could define a “scratch” space of a size that can be selected by the user where these midi files are stored and when it gets full the oldest file is deleted automatically to make space for new ones.
But for the moment does anyone know if the pianoteq port that comes with zynthian does record files automatically?

I’m.not sure my new tracks are better than my older onesn but yes it would be up to the usen to save on an external drive what he considers being his best tracks…
Anyway, a .mid file is not that heavy, that it would rapidly saturate the storage device…
I usually delete my pianoteq files, regularly, not because they take much place, but because having too many of them would not be, humanly speaking, easy to manage… and finding the good one amongst hundred of them would be a mess…

Pianoteq feature can be enabled but I think probably only from the GUI which will show if you connect to the machine via ssh with X-forwarding enabled.

We could record the MIDI into a memory resident storage area so as to avoid writing to storage (which has some risks with Raspberry Pi) then offer user the ability to review and save sections of this buffer. It could have a duration, let’s say 8 hours after which it is overwritten (circular buffer) and you can go back and review stuff and select sections to save as .mid / step sequencer / whatever. Of course this is fast becoming a complex requirement but it is quite achievable. UI may prove the most daunting task.

1 Like