Using Putty and Xming to see synth UI on PC desktop

Hi, I’ve just successfully assembled my v4.4 kit, it looks, sounds and works great.

I am trying to show the UI for the ZynAddSubFX synth on my PC desktop.
I have installed Xming on the PC and connected via SSH using Putty with the “Enable X11 forwarding” ticked as shown in the wiki. I can login to the Zynthian fine in the terminal window, but I don’t see any other windows - how do I start the ZynAddSubFX UI? Do I need to put anything in the “X display location” box - I have tried 0, localhost:0 and 127.0.0.1:0.0

I have a layer on the Zynthian with a ZynAddSubFX synth set up.

Hi @congoblue

The simplest way to access the GUI of engines is by enabling VNC Server in webconf INTERFACR->UI-Options then accessing desktop via web-conf under INTERFACE->VNC-Engines.

There is a way to use x-forwarding but some recent changes may have made this more awkward and my experiments have shown it to be less efficient than VNC (which feels wrong but certain loads the system more heavily).

Hi, thanks for that suggestion, the VNC works well.
Should just point out for anyone else trying it, the VNC viewer is under “SOFTWARE → VNC Viewer” not INTERFACE, had me confused for a little while.

The location of VNC Viewer in webconf has moved in the testing branch. We are due to deploy an update to stable soon with this change (maybe September 2021). So depending on whether you are using Stable or Testing you need to look in webconf SOFTWARE or INTERFACE menu for VNC Viewer.

OK as a newbie I am sticking with Stable for the time being! Thanks for explaining.