V2 - Extremely loud static noise from the main outputs

I’ve bought a fully assembled version 2 of the machine and have been using it for a couple of months now.
In the very beginning I have noticed that it was producing a very loud static noise as soon as I plugged it into the power supply, but after experimenting with different PSUs eventually I found one that worked with the device. Until today.

All of a sudden, and out of nowhere, the loud noise returned and quite frankly I have no idea what might be causing it.

I tried different audio cables, but the result is exactly the same.

I have not moved the machine anywhere, neither have I changed it in any way. I just switched it on and immediately realize that this very loud static noise was coming out of the main audio outputs.

EDIT:

I must add that to the noises audible even before the operating system boots. Therefore it cannot be a software issue.

EDIT 2:

The noise disappeared again.
I’ve got a very good friend who is quite knowledgeable in the field of electronics and she is going to confirm if it is indeed a build issue.

Hi @nzimas! Welcome to the wonderful world of Zynthian. May your days be merry and bright!

A sudden and unexpected change of behaviour indicates that something had changed. Although you assure us this not to be the case, something must have changed. It is possible the change is internal component degradation but is far more likely to be an external change. It is possible (actually quite likely) that a pre-existing fault or flaw has been exposed by a change of environment.

Noise may be induced from external sources such as the PSU (these can go faulty quite often), connected devices or electromagnetic interference. The latter could be lighting or other equipment. It may even be in the next room / apartment!!!

It has been observed that USB connected devices can cause audio interference. Similarly network connections can do this. Try disconnecting everything except audio and power. Try using a different PSU. Try turning off all other electrical devices (in the house if necessary!). Ask the neighbours if they have moved or installed anything near the adjacent wall. If your audio passes through a mixer, processor, amplifier, etc. then try eliminating all of that, e.g. use headphones connected directly to the Zynthian.

Diagnosing faults involves eliminating possibly causes and remember that it may be a combination of several different things. Don’t think that testing one thing eliminates it. You may find that more than one part of the setup may be contributing.

Good luck and keep us informed on progress.

3 Likes