Vember surge synth opensourced, builds and runs on Linux

Advertisers . . . ?

Heard of radio advertising?

1 Like

not without massively rapidly delivered disclaimers …

At least we used to be able to hide them away in the smallest font we could get out of a caption generator. Which was often one of their primary selling features … :smiley:

1 Like

New Surge version, seems like a pretty significant upgrade, specially interesting is this part on the 1.8 changelog

Infrastructure, Bugfixess and Code Quality

• build-linux now works with ARM

They also added filters from OB-XD, Odin and others

4 Likes

Although it was “tested with RPI4/arm64
Still has 2 big negatives:

• Minimum of 4 GB of RAM
  • VST3-compatible host application required

IIRC We’re using the surge-lv2 from the KXStudio repo. The maintainer is very good at keeping things up to date.

Edit: oh they’ve binned lv2 for the time being, hadn’t seen that. Not sure what FalkTX is doing around it.

https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/formats

Latest armhf LV2 at KXStudio is 1.7.1 which is installed in Zynthian.

Surge isn’t that useful in its current state on Zynthian. Even a fairly simple patch like an electric piano will trigger xruns with a single note and GUI disabled. It lookd super cool when we got it but we don’t have a useful implementation (IMO).

Also, the native GUI is broken in our installed version (compiled binary) and preset titles and other texts are not displayed, we we can’t use the VNC GUI for generating LV2 presets.

It would be nice to have a decent surge binary. I feel we are not so far, but we have to push a little bit more.

@lguyome45, did you build the current binary, right? Could you try to solve the GUI texts issue?

Thanks,

@jofemodo problem is my Surge has the text on NoVNC

I need to remember what font I install

I see the problem, sorry. In the menu no text

1 Like

Curious! Yours Surge’s GUI show some text labels that mines doesn’t show at all, although it seems that some are missing yet. So, as you say, it could be a missing font (it was my first thought too). Please, try to remember what font you installed and let’s try to figure what’s is missing.

BTW, are you using the surge’s binary included on the official SD image?

Thanks!

Sudo apt install fonts-lato

This is the font need by surge :slightly_smiling_face:

I use the official binary, I try the compilation, release 1.71 is ok, release 1.8 for the moment, I need a new release of cmake, need time

That pulls in the fonts used in the main UI but menu text is still missing!

From here:

it seems that windows Arial font is used. It’s supposed to be patched for linux, using generic “sans-serif” fonts instead, but there is a flaw somewhere.

This solves the problem:

apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

although i’m pretty sure there is a better/cleaner way :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Interesting! I checked the source code and thought that might only be required if the build process didn’t accurately identify the platform (though I may be wrong - it has happened before!).

1 Like

:rescue_worker_helmet:

As it works and MS fonts only takes a few MBs, i pushed a patch for installing the needed fonts so every body can enjoy the Surge’s GUI and collaborate on the upcoming “Call for Surge’s LV2 presets” :grin:

Simply update and enjoy!

Thanks!

P.S: If somebody finds a better/cleaner way of solving this, please, advice.

1 Like

yes, I can confirm, after installation Surge has visible fonts. Thank you @jofemodo .

Just been reading through the first half within this thread. Excited to see the enthusiasm of one of if not my favorite vst synth’s ported to Zynthian, a project which has recently captured my attention. Incredible work on the part of all contributors. This is making me look forward to getting the kit and everything running even more.

1 Like

The new version of surge (surge XT) has appeared a few days ago. This version now supports official LV2 again. I hope that someone can port it soon for Raspberry and then hopefully runs more stable.

2 Likes

Is it possible to use Surge XT at this stage on Zynthian?
If not, what would need to happen for it to be available?