(Very?) Similar Idea to Zynthian, Expensive

Too expensive for me but has 2 in 2 out CV built in. And 2 lo-rez displays hehehe

Hi @rockwater,

a little bit of history: I happened to hit Zynthian in March 2016 and ordered two sets of circuit boards from Fernando and was thrilled. In May 2016 I discovered the MOD duo by chance. Since the company MOD is located in Berlin, we had an appointment and I could tested - and bought one from the Kick-Starter campaign.

While testing at home I found out that a lot of their software lies around on github (especially mod-ui and mod-host). And that started the porting of mod-ui/mod-host and many free LV2 plugins to Zynthian. In this respect, both devices seem to be similar, since they partly use the same software.

MOD-Duo IMHO was first intended as an effect for guitarists. I wanted to make it a portable and flexible DX7 and therefore ported Dexed to LV2. The whole thing works, but unfortunately the MOD duo can’t cope with such large lists of sounds (about 20-30 sounds are only shown in the selection boxes of the display). This is a small software problem, but MOD has to solve it and apparently they don’t have the capacity for it. In the meantime many keboarders have discovered the MOD Duo and now the MOD Duo X is supposed to come for this interest group. I already had the prototype in my hand :slight_smile: and I think that the display problem will be fixed by then.

Meanwhile I have my DX7 running on a Teensy. Small, light and even works :slight_smile:

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Wow! Well shoot maybe I should have searched the forum for this first - well maybe not. Anyway! :confused::blush: Certainly not looking for a costly replacement to my mostly working Zynthian! I wonder if two Teensy’s could be used as CV in and out. Although I know CV to MIDI can get complicated quick with less than stellar results.
Not that I need it I guess. But it would be another tool. I’ll probably build a Terminal Tedium at some point. Somewhat similar but runs on standard Raspian I think with Pure Data only - could be wrong about that tho. Rambling as usual! Lots of typing on the internet and no music!

It’s turning into the star wars bar . . . :worried:

Perhaps we should insist that @rockwater provides :smiley:

I turned up on a project recently that had 50,000 elements in a select box … :smiley:
when does a list become a search…?

1 Like

I’m sorry if it looked like I’m the smart teacher. I just wanted to be careful and make sure that MOD-Duo and Zynthian have only a few things in common, but otherwise were created separately from each other.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Oh no problem at all! I’m glad to learn all of it.
Was just feeling silly if this had been posted about before here and I didn’t think to check for that first :blush:

I think zynthian > MOD.

2 Likes

IMHO MOD is trying to provide an end-user product for guitarists, zynthian is providing an open project for tinkerers. Both are generous to provide source, but they have quite different goals. I don’t see zynthian as a business like MOD is.

Hmm I hope everyone knows I wasn’t trying to start a debate or anything - just something zynthian-like I found. Im happy to see more of these kinds of devices.

@rockwater you literally started this debate it all falls on you! I accepted your challenge

1 Like

Booooo! Less Relate Debate and more CREATE! :joy::joy::joy::musical_keyboard::headphones:

2 Likes