Vital Synth by Matt Tytel

Apparently electromagnetic field microhones are a thing that the kids are getting down with to experiment with sound. To me this is picking up all the unwanted noise we strive so hard to design out of our electronic audio devices!

On a subject sligthly more relevant to the topic heading… I did some tests with a fairly simple sawtooth based pach in vitalium and found that it was quite stable (no xruns) when run without the UI but with UI running it started to xrun when more than one note is played so to get best experience, enable GUI to do your sound design (it is a fantastic interface) then disable it for performance. I hope we might find a way to do this dynamically but have not yet found a way to connect and disconnect the GUI - but I continue to investigate…

4 Likes

This reminds me of the time I told a guitarist his audio was heavily distorted coming into the mixing desk and he might want to back off the amp a bit. He wasn’t happy.

3 Likes

@jofemodo please add this version (2021-03-06) to Zynthian. I now have vitalium running with native GUI in VNC and it is so cool. I love love love it! There goes the rest of my week :smile: :blush: . I may even create some presets… but no promises.

How is this coming along, do we have a build recipe for this??

It would be good to be able to map LV2 controllers to specific Zynthian pages / encoders, e.g. bringing Vitalium Macro 1-4 to the first page would be useful. @jofemodo is this already possible or should I submit a feature request?

I’m also very interested in this, as i’d like to do the same for some helm parameters and obxd

Adventure Kid Research & Technology (AKRT)
Has a collection of single cycle, 600 sample waveforms,
these 1,344 byte snippets are not too hard on a preset budget.
the .wav versions work with the standalone Vital’s Add Folder.
(the “snippets” folder has more complex reedy sounding waveforms,
that may not play well with others in chords)

The whole collection of 4383 waveforms is 6.2 mb uncompressed.

One potential code patch that came to mind; make the Advanced/Oversampling selector switchable during preset selection, some presets are likely to have to switch down to Draft to work on a Pi, particularly a Pi 3. (Oversampling has no Macro dial linkage or MIDI learn in the standalone version)

4 Likes

How could I imagine that just when I am away, vibing in the void for some time, I would miss THIS?
Huge excitement over here!

1 Like

Oaouuuu! Really nice GUI!! I didn’t read this until now.
Simply update your zynthian and enjoy!! :wink:

Cheers!

4 Likes

Strange, if I have VNC activated, it does not work, There is no GUI and no sound. If I deactivate VNC I have sound but still no GUI (looks like it crashes immediately).

Have you updated Zynthain?

Yes, several times, I also tried to search for new lv2 plugins (including several reboots, deselectting/selecting plugins)

It takes quite a few seconds for the synth to load the first time and even longer for the GUI to display.

Try this:

Also in VNC viewer use the teminal to enter: apt search vitalium and check it comes back with vitalium-lv2/now 5:20210306 armhf [installed,local] (amongst other things).

hm is there something wrong?

root@zynthian:~# dpkg -l|grep -i vitalium
ii  vitalium-lv2                       5:20210302.2                         armhf        Spectral warping wavetable synth (LV2)
root@zynthian:~# apt search vitalium
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
vitalium/bionic 5:20210306 all
  Spectral warping wavetable synth

vitalium-lv2/bionic 5:20210306 armhf [upgradable from: 5:20210302.2]
  Spectral warping wavetable synth (LV2)

vitalium-vst/bionic 5:20210306 armhf
  Spectral warping wavetable synth (VST2 and VST3)

In fact, the latest version is “5:20210312.3”.

root@zynthian:~# apt search vitalium-lv2
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
vitalium-lv2/bionic,now 5:20210312.3 armhf [installed]
  Spectral warping wavetable synth (LV2)

Obviously my version is not updated, but I am still hesitating to update manually.

I got an error which I did not see before, not sure if it is connected to my problem…

Executing /zynthian/zynthian-sys/scripts/recipes.update/update_preset2lv2.sh ...
fatal: unable to access 'https://gitlab.com/Jofemodo/preset2lv2.git/': The requested URL returned error: 503

It’s some kind of connectivity issue with gitlab, but it shouldn’t affect to the rest of update process, it it’s *only" with gitlab.

Regards,

Ok, I used apt to upgrade the package and it seems to work now. But I still do not know, why the update did not work.

Regarding Preset Distribution Terms

presetshare.com with some 526 presets, 118 for Vital, has a CC0 License:

All creations on PresetShare available under CC0 1.0 Universal license.
“You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.”

Register to DL, I am seeing titles not appearing in other compilations. They have playable online samples…speeding the “your joking” rejection process.

I would be very careful of such sites who may find it challenging to validate the every file complies with the licence, e g. if someone creates a patch using any of the built-in wavetables they would not be permitted to redistribute it.

You can view an entire 119 min course on Vital, spreading limited previews over 5 days.

I learned a couple of new things in the the first few of a 24 part tutorial (like clicking the UR corner oscilloscope switches to spectrum display), their preview scheme allows you to view 5 sections per day.

2 Likes

Hi @riban,
is there any how-to of script for converting Vitalium presets to lv2 presets?
Thanks a lot!

I had exactly the same question. I’ve been searching high and low for information on this so that I can contribute my own and found presets to vitalium (via here How should we submit Vitalium presets? · Issue #81 · DISTRHO/DISTRHO-Ports · GitHub ) and coming up short.

@riban can you share your process in a detailed tutorial?