Volume encoder produces clicking sounds

After todays update I realized that the upper left encoder quite loudly produces clicking sounds on the audio output. Is there a quick way to fix this?

0 Likes

Hi @Hampelschwein!

I can’t reproduce the effect in any of my zynthians updated to the last version.

AFAIK, nothing has been modified that could cause this effect. I recommend to reboot your zynthian and try again …

Could you test with different engines? This kind of problems sometimes are stronger with certain engines, etc.

Regards,

0 Likes

Just Upper left? that sounds hardware like…?
Which snapshot and engine?

0 Likes

Try to switch the encoder and see, if it happens with more than one.

0 Likes

hi, thanks for your engagement! I dont know wat was wrong but later it was gone. Maybe it was some power related issue in the room. Its close to train tracks…
I will keep an eye on it
There is also a strange short sound every couple of seconds coming from the zynthian, which didnt occure at my flat, but which also didnt show up for any other devices…

0 Likes

Possibly a problem with the power supply? Can you swap it?

Do you have a metal housing? If not, try the Zynthian somewhere else in the room. My Volumio-Player-Zynthian was hanging 20cm above the Yamaha-Receiver and this one has two fat power supplies - the sound was…

Regards, Holger

0 Likes

When we were still in the rehearsing room with the train tracks I tried two different power supplies, no difference. And I tried different engines.
I have a metal housing, some hammond alu thing.
Yesterday we played in a club with decent electricity. The clicking sound did not occure. BUT the strange short sound every couple of seconds did. This also occures with different engines, I think even without any engine selected.

0 Likes

I also deal with these strange noises a couple of times. With the Zynthian less, with the MOD-Duo it’s probably because one audio input is mounted too close to the processor board, and with TeensyMIDIAudio/MicroDexed perhaps due to a worse input power filtering.

My experiences are as follows:

• Metal housings are helpful (especially when neon tubes are within reach).
  • Pay attention when choosing power supplies!
  • Type of sound card in combination with the processor (also the type of installation, whereby with the Raspi these are usually plugged on directly)

I also noticed that if you are using a PCM5102a you should consider to use short and shielded cables for the I2S bus…

I think this is not very helpful - but I am out of ideas :anguished:

Regards, Holger

0 Likes

Ok, good to know I’m not alone ^^. Do you also have the audioinjector?

Now I realized that the encoder sounds also happen when I’m at home, where they didnt occure before. And actually its all 4 encoders, also when scrolling through menues.
My power supply is a really good one (cioks dc10). And the other one I used didnt cause problems before either.

0 Likes

For Zynthian only Hifiberry DAC+. The Teensy uses a STL5000 chip, but I am sure that I can get the sound better with better filtering.

Regards, Holger

0 Likes