Webconf - MIDI Options documentation

Hello

I tried to find it on the WIKI and I didn’t find more advanced documentation about the “MIDI Options” menu options.

Is there any document on the correct use of advanced options in the current version of Webconf? I managed to use some things investigating by “trial and error” but it is being very slow and difficult for me to learn about the use of these options.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 Like

Hi @Jeremias !

You are right. The existing documentation about MIDI options is really poor and incomplete and it should be improved.
FYI, many of this options are also available from the UI’s admin menu, what you could find more comfortable for testing and trying to understand them.

Anyway, you can ask whatever you want here. Most of times you will get an accurate answer, so perhaps you could improve the documentation by forcing us to explain, one by one, each option :grin:

BTW, did you already vote in the contest poll?

The best!

1 Like

Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying, I traveled for work and spent weeks away from my music equipment.

The fields that I don’t understand how they work are:

• Program Change ZS3 (Program Change for SubSnapShots)
  • Bank Change with CC#0(MSB) & CC#32(LSB)
  • Enable System Messages (Transport)
  • Autodetect CC relative mode

Thank you very much in advance

1 Like

I have spent a bit of time updating the wiki recently, I mainly worked on the sequencer and main user guides. You have highlighted that the webconf guide deserves some attention. Some of the settings pages have changed so there will be out of date images. Most these options are part of the midi protocol though, so they apply to many midi situations outside of Zynthian

1. Program Change ZS3 (Program Change for SubSnapShots)

I believe this is about using your midi controller to quickly change between chosen patches on a single sound engine. There is a thread about it here that could probably be summarised and included in the wiki: ZS3 Programchange

1. Bank Change with CC#0(MSB) & CC#32(LSB)

This is about changing the patch (preset) of the sound engine you have loaded, not all midi controllers have the capability to send these messages.

1. Enable System Messages (Transport)

This option will show transport messages (e.g. start and stop) in the midi log page.

1. Autodetect CC relative mode

There is an explanation here: How do I map a continuous controller in relative mode? - General discussion about Gig Performer - Gig Performer Community

Absolute mode is when the rotary encoder has been set up to emulate a pot or a fader (remembering the value of the CC being sent). Relative mode is when it sends a signed value to indicate moving up or down (and magnitude can vary based on speed).

The advantage of relative mode is that the up / down is always relative to the state in the software rather than storing (and sending) values as absolutes from the hardware. This avoids the whole glitch that can happen when you adjust a dial after a rack panel change (and the software syncs to the hardware).

This needs more explanation from one of the developers I think, not sure how it applies in Zynthian. I’m used to the midi pickup mode, not sure if they are the same thing.

Edit: more midi info here straight from the source - About MIDI-Part 3:MIDI Messages -  

1 Like