Why not use more off the shelf compenents for the rotary encoders?

Won’t these work for example?

http://www.adeept.com/rotary-module_p0051.html

They are also on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adeept-Rotary-Encoder-Module-360-Degree-Rotation-for-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi-8051/322168432696?epid=18014305016&hash=item4b02bc2838:g:H1UAAOSwGIRXboo0&autorefresh=true

And there are like 100 Aliexpress sellers that have one without the molex connector.

Encoders used by Zynthian are off the shelf parts. I bought mine on amazon for something like 7 euros 10 pieces, and I used them for other project before even know about Zynthian.
Both of those you linked (and many many many others) will work without problems…

Oh, I am trying to figure our why the official kits cost so much. I have a friend that can’t afford it.
I was thinking of making a part list. We are using audio injectors and the mod-ui for FX, So all the midi stuff can go. So basically rotary buttons and a screen.

There is work behind official kit, so IMHO its price is quite right.

But no one forces you or your friend to use official kit if you don’t want to: just buy or build parts yourself and fit them as you like. Look at the success stories thread… many builder (myself included) never saw the official kit.

1 Like

I know, I was trying to look for ways to reduce work for the official kit devs :wink:
After playing with it I want it to be accessible as possible.

The zynthian spirit prefers the existance of zynthian machines over zynthian kits.

Do what works for you.,. I have far too many zynthians and only one of them is a kit. Apparently people still talk to me. . .

3 Likes

Woaooo! The spirit of Zynthian!! Wyleu, certainly you have some kind of mysthical connection with Zynthian and you feel what her spirit prefers. I love you man and i would like to appoint you supreme priest of Zynthianism :love_you_gesture::love_you_gesture:

Super Regards

4 Likes

Beware of the Audio injector. It’s a neat device: low price and audio input. Unfortunately there seems to be some of them with a problematic male header. I’ve had some trouble with mine. Currently I’m only using the female connector, and that seems to work ok.

In what way? It works at the moment.

Lucky you!

• My first audioinjector i had a problem with a ground pin, that wasn’t a ground pin and i’ve to re-wire.
  • The second one, problems with GPIO pins. It’s in my store and i hope it work with the new All-In-One circuit that uses fewer GPIO pins.
  • The third one worked out-the-box.

Regards!

Not had any problems with them, I’ve got two; one in a hifiberry case & another on the back of a 7" touchscreen. They just seem to work.

I just say Audioinjector Zero!
I mounted it on top of my Raspi3.
Far better version for us than the normal Audioinjector.

I’ve several audioinjector zero waiting for testing …
How did you solve the problem of connecting the ribbon for the display and controllers?

Regards,

https://www.conrad.de/de/buchsenleiste-rastermass-2-mm-polzahl-gesamt-40-econ-connect-1-st-1311438.html?sc.ref=Product%20Details

Your cable should be a little longer. I mounted it, so that the headphone jack is in line with the other raspi outlets.

My former box was too small for the two additional boards. The rotary encoder needs that space.
Waiting for a bigger case. Should arrive today.
When it’s done in the next days, I can send pictures.

In what way is it better?
It doesn’t have instrument input right?
Mine seems to work fine too.

It has in and out, but they are externally mounted, so that you don’t have 3 edges that need to be mounted outwards.
I have 2 zeroes and will try to mount it into the Zynthian v2 case.
AFAIK, it’s only the form factor and that you have to solder the ins, outs etc. by yourself.

Does zynthian work on the Zero? In the builds I tried emulating an armv6 machine and it complained about architecture problems.

I don’t know. I am successfully running an AudioInjector Zero on a raspi3

Cool, In that case, I think your fine.
I just wasted a lot of time on mine.