Wrappers for popular LV2 plugins, with custom presets

Hi Zynthian lovers!

I was looking for a way to easily add new patches (created with my desktop pc) to these plugins in Zynthian, without having to use VNC, and being able to give a custom name to each param, while grouping and sorting the params the way I wanted.

Since this is not possible with standard presets, I developer two plugin wrappers, written in C++, for Cardinal and Vitalium (Vital clone). They are both already installed in Vangelis OS.

These wrappers let you load a patch, give it a name (for the plugin wrapper), customize each parameter’s name, type (int, float, enum, bool, …), range, default value, and group them with custom group names. Then you can export a zip containing the preset folder and the lv2 plugin folder (you need to compile it on zynthian with a c++ compiler).

The main page contains basic instructions to install the c++ compilers and libraries on Zynthian. Each wrapper creator contains its own instructions, but they are (hopefully) quite straightforward to use.

I hope you’ll find them useful, as I do. Feel free to ask questions, report bugs, or suggest improvements and new features.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’m confused, but Cardinal is installed on Zynthian???

Is there an exact example workflow tutorial/video howto integrate a Cardinal patch into Zynthian as a lv2 plugin?

Regards

I found quite a lot about it with a search on Cardinal in this forum - here’s one post-thread:

No. It’s not. Users wanting to experiment with cardinal have to install it by themselves.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi

I tried the cardinal wrapper but did not work. The third point in help on your website is not very clear for me…

When the .so is compiled, in which folder to copy ? wrapper_cpp_lv2 ? and where to put that folder ?

Thanks

Sorry, shat do you mean?

It’s about Maximilian help

I tried the cardinal wrapper but did not work.

Hi, what do you mean? It gave you an error, or what else?

Anyway, first of all you need to install Cardinal the right way and enable it in webconf (Software > Engines > Scan for Engines > Check the Cardinal plugin).

Then, after creating the wrapper, you have to copy the Cardinal_[Type]_[Name]_wrapper_cpp.lv2 folder inside /zynthian/zynthian-plugins/lv2/ as explained in the help section.

You can also copy the Cardinal_[Type]_[Name]_wrapper_cpp.preset.lv2 folder into the /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/presets/lv2/ folder.

Finally in webconf you need to enable the plugin (Software > Engines > Scan for Engines > Check the Cardinal plugin wrapper).

This is the best way I found out to have a single Cardinal patch with all the parameters with names, ranges, labels, etc…

But you can also export a single patch as a preset. No named parameters, but it’s an alternative (faster) way to import a patch without using VNC.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi

To try cardinal wrapper, i used the example you gave.

I exported the wrapper, installed the folders in the right places, compiled the wrapper.

In webconf->engines, i enabled cardinal (FX) and cardinal (FX) example.

When i use cardinal FX in zynthian, it is working (nothing loaded), ,no problem.

When i use cardinal FX (example) it stays in a loop in adding processor…

Thanks

PS : How to export a single patch in a preset ? I just use the folder preset in the export ZIP ? Is all in it for the patch ?

When i use cardinal (FX), i do not see the presets…

Hi, if you can enable the plugin in webconf, it should work. Go to WEBCONF > INTERFACE > UI LOG > ENABLE DEBUG LOGGING and look for errors or other messages related to the plugin. What Raspberry PI and OS do you have? Mine is Raspberry PI 5 with 4 gb RAM and Vangelis OS.

How to export a single patch in a preset ?

If you want to install a preset to use in the standard Cardinal plugin (not my wrapper), you have to copy the Cardinal_[Type]_[Name].preset.lv2 folder inside /zynthian/zynthian-my-data/presets/lv2/

This way the Cardinal patch will be Base64-encoded inside the preset, but you won’t have named parameters, just param1..24.

If you want to change parameters names with the standard Cardinal plugin, without installing my wrapper, you can copy the Cardinal_[Type]_[Name].lv2 folder to /zynthian/zynthian-plugins/lv2/

This way the default parameters names will be overwritten for EVERY patch or preset you will load form now on inside the standard Cardinal plugin.

Please let me know if it works.

Thanks!

Hi

I got a zynthian 5.1 with rpi 5 8go.

Without using the wrapper :

  • I put cardinal_FX_example.lv2 in zynthian/zynthian-plugins/lv2. After webconf scan engine, it appears, i enable it (cardinal FX is enabled in engines). When i add cardinal FX (example) as audio effect, zynthian enter in an infinite loop…
  • I put cardinal_FX_example.preset.lv2 in zynthian/zynthian-my-data/presets/lv2/, i scan for presets in webconf and in cardinal effect (it loads normally), but preset does not appear in list…

Thanks

Hi, it’s very difficult to find out the problem without an error log… please check the logs…

Start with a blank project, in ssh launch:

journalctl -u zynthian -f -n 100

Then load the plugin and check the logs.

You can also check webconf logs:

journalctl -u zynthian-webconf -f

Run also:

lv2info ``https://distrho.sf.net/plugins/cardinal#FX

Can you send me the exported zip file so I can test it locally?

Thanks

Hi

I believe i did not understand some points. Must i load the vcv patch in gui cardinal ?

I tried cardinal FX with a simple vcv patch i loaded in cardinal GUI and i overwrited the template.
It’s working. When i reboot it is ok. But the params are not named…

I’ll try with wrapper again…

Thanks