ZS3 Programchange

OK, you haven’t explained what you want it to do, do you need, say, EPiano and Flute to sound together or just one sound at a time? Edit: or you may have and I missed it :smiley:

In the first step I want to have 4 single sounds. If I push
knob 1: grand piano
knob 2: e-piano
knob 3: bandoneon
knob 4: clavinet

What MIDI messages do you believe the knobs are sending? ( I say believe cos confirmation in the MIDI log would be helpful so we can see whats going on. . .)

You only need one layer then. Having multiple layers is for having sounds that play together at the same time. If you wanted a classic Piano with Strings.

You want fluid synth to unload the Piano and load in the flute and that’s what subsnapshots do.

Have a look at this video https://vimeo.com/410548196

1 Like

Thanx for the video, it helps a lot.
But in this way I only can change sounds from one engine.
I tried to add a setBfree organ. That doesnt work.

1 Like

Yes, subsnapshots are only designed to change settings in one engine. If you want to swap out the FluidSynth engine for the SetBFree one you need to switch between snapshots.

You can do this over MIDI by switching to channel 16 and sending a program change that matches the snapshot number.

You could also do it by setting up setBFree in a layer on MIDI channel 1 and FluidSynth in a layer on MIDI channel 2 and switching the transmit channel on the MIDI controller. On my controller it’s really easy to switch which channel it sends on, but I realize that might not be the case for you.

Oh, yes. I know that and I do that. But snapshot-switching needs time. That can I do between Songs.

My Impulse can send all 16 Midi-Channels and up to 4 channels simultanasly. Thats the reason I thought i have to set the volume for the wanted channel to the wanted level and the other to 0.

Now I know how ZS3 works. A lot of thanks for your help!!!

1 Like

Hi @Micki!

Please, try this workflow:

• Single Channel Mode: ENABLED
  • Create a layer with every engine you want to use
  • Then repeat this for every instrument you want to learn:
    • Select the layer (engine) & preset for your instrument.
    • If needed, adjust the parameters as you like.
    • When you are satisfied, click snapshot twice and then push the Program Change button in you controller for saving it as ZS3

You can update or re-learn ZS3 whenever you want. I mean, if you are playing and make some controller adjustment you want to save, simply click twice on snapshot and the PC button in your controller, or bold click over the program in the list and select “update”.

Finally, don’t forget to save your snapshot with all the ZS3s, etc.

Regards,

1 Like

If you have an impulse I’d set the faders to change the volume (cc7 usually) for each layer you have set up. Fader 1: ch1, Fader 2: ch2. Then with some dexterity you could crossfade between the layers :smiley:

I think the problem with this is making sure for each subsnapshot all the other layer volumes are set to 0. So for each zss you create you need to check the volume on every single layer. Which, in retrospect, was probably the original issue.

Thanx, Jose.
That sounds really good.
I’ll try that this evening. Now I have to go to the tooth doctor …

Yes, but I need the fingers to play and i want to send the PC-Command with footswitch.
Crossfade action I use in special moments.

1 Like

No no. It’s not needed at all. You simply enable “Single Channel Mode” and everything will work like a charm. I follow this simple workflow all the time and it works …

1 Like

Anyway, it’s clear that ZS3 workflow is not well-explained/understanded and people is not using it as intended or not using it at all. We have to fix this … :wink:

Believe me, it’s the key for using zynthian on-stage …

Regards,

:flushed: Oh boy. This is good!

@jofemodo:
I’ve tried your suggestion:
I’ve build a layer with
CH 1: Grand Piano: SSS 1
CH 2: setBfree: SSS 2
CH 3: Fluitsynth Flute: SSS 3
ans save as Snapshot.

If i recall SSS 3, i hear flute - fine
if i recall SSS 2, i hear organ - fine
if i recall SSS 1, i hear Piano, organ and flute - not so fine.

Before i went to Single Channel mode i set the Volume potis in Zynthian to its channel, so i could control the
piano with fader 1, ch 1, the
organ with fader 2, ch 2 and the
flute with fader 3, ch3.

Next try: I ser all volume potis to ch 1
wuth the same result.
If i push SSS 1 i hear all 3 sounds.

FORGET IT ! I’ve found the Solution !
I had choosed the clone option and now I’ve disabled it!
AND IT WORKS ,:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING !:bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet::bouquet:

2 Likes

I have a little question about using zs3 on multi-timbral mode. If using new stable-2211 can subsnapshot be saved with different details settings of the engine/chain (eg. volume or an arpeggiator parameters) on Program change sockets ? In stage mode it is easy and working but using on multi timbral different program change change only preset of the engine but chain parameters and other options (like layer clone) remain unchanged. Am I missing something?

It should work. In fact, ZS3 are global in 2211, so they save the state for all chains.
Please, open an issue in our issue tracker and describe step by step how to reproduce the error.

Thanks!