ZynAddSubFx version

Is it possible to switch from the installed ZynAddSubFx (Fusion V 3.05) to the current ZynAddSubFx (V 3.06)? I am working with version 3.06 on my desktop computer and the presets I created myself are not fully compatible. I don’t necessarily need the nicer gui from Zyn-fusion.

ZynAddSubFX is installed from repository. If you want the last version in zynthian, you should uninstall the current installed version and download & install the latest version. There is an install recipe for this, so you could try and hopefully, it will work. You should try:

apt remove zynaddsubfx
$ZYNTHIAN_RECIPE_DIR/install_zynaddsubfx.sh

If it doesn’t work, you always could reinstall the repo version with:

apt install zynaddsubfx

Good luck … and keep us informed about your progress!

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have no experience with debian, I use a PI4 - could the file zynaddsubfx_3.0.6-5_armhf.deb fit?

1 Like

Yes, this should be the right file.
After deinstallation of zynaddsubfx you can do:

dpkg -i <filename.deb>

1 Like

Yes, if the dependencies are OK.
Where did you get this file? From what repo?

Regards

Found the package here:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/armhf/zynaddsubfx

1 Like

zynaddsubfx_3.0.6-5_armhf.deb copied to /home/pi/

and tried to install with:
sudo apt install /home/pi/zynaddsubfx_3.0.6-5_armhf.deb

results in:
Note, selecting ‘zynaddsubfx’ instead of ‘/home/pi/zynaddsubfx_3.0.6-5_armhf.deb’
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
zynaddsubfx : Depends: zynaddsubfx-data but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34) but 2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1+deb10u2 is to be installed
Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.5) but it is not installable
Depends: libmxml1 (>= 3.3.1) but 2.12-2 is to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 11) but 8.3.0-6+rpi1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

That’ll probably be why we’re not using the latest zynaddsubfx. The distro we use is too old to support the dependencies. Maybe wait for the 64bit zynthian os?

1 Like

Thanks @Baggypants, that seems to be the problem. I still have to be patient and wait for 64bit.

1 Like

Update:

The installation at Oram was possible, but was then overwritten with Zyn-Fusion 3.05 during the Zynthian update.

By some reason, the older KXStudio version is being installed instead of the newer Bookworm version.
I’ve fixed the install/update scripts to force installation from bookworm repository for this package. You can try to update or simply run:

apt update
apt -y remove zynaddsubfx zynaddsubfx-data
apt -y install -t bookworm zynaddsubfx

Nice!! The bookworm’s version use the classic GUI by default, that works a lot better with VNC. The ZynFusion GUI, although prettier, is not usable with VNC.

Regards,

2 Likes

Great, thank you very much! I’ll try it asap. :grinning: :+1:

The installation with the command prompt works, but will be overwritten with Zyn-Fusion during an update.

I will test and find a way of “blocking” the installed package so it is not overwriten when updating.

Regards,

1 Like

I have already done some research, could the hold option be a solution?
apt-mark hold $package name

2 Likes

Yes, i was thinking in something like this. It’s not elegant, but it would work.
Really, i don’t understand why an older version is installed. It shouldn’t!!
Perhaps some clever mind with better understanding of debian packages and repos could help us?

The best!

https://wiki.debian.org/AptConfiguration

I haven’t checked it but it might be something related to references.

2 Likes

You are right, @pau. I’ve solved with “hold” but a more elegant fix would be to setup right priorities.I will keep the hold solution by now, until next zynaddsubfx version is released.

Thanks!

2 Likes

:open_mouth: reacts so fast! Editing with VNC now feels like it’s happening on the same computer.

2 Likes

Yes, ZynFusion is terribly slow when used by VNC. In the other hand, the classic GUI is blazing fast!

Regards,

3 Likes