Zynseq - A native step sequencer

Keep the whole key range, some like to use black keys to trigger things and play sounds from white keys.

So that will require assigning individual trigger notes to each pad rather than a root note to the first pad as I had planned.

Not sure if this helps or not, but Iā€™d like to use my APC with zynpad. The note numbers are on the map below. Also learned in the Monday after party that you light up the LEDs on the pads via sending it midi note back, selecting the colour with ā€œvelocityā€. Also works the same on launchpad, apparently.

5 Likes

Iā€™m reading the user guide and using the sequencer but iā€™m still confused about playing multiple parts with different intruments. It seems i canā€™t assign a different midi channel to different patterns, so the midi channel is global? The only way seems to use zynpad, wich doesntā€™ looks like as in the guide. The same for the song editor. I canā€™t do anything yet, canā€™t add patterns and canā€™t create a song.
Anyway, this is going to be great so i keep testing. Thanks!

Hi @Nicolaz, the user guide is based on the development branch. You have got to be brave to use that but it is available to see what is happening. Otherwise wait and things will improve (hopefully rapidly).

Cool idea! In the distant future, we might be able to implement (customizable?) controller integration, but I think we should get the sequencer out of alpha and beta first.

2 Likes

Well done, itā€™s quiet clear.

While I am testing the new zynthian os image on an encoderless setup (and without touch <=> with mouse only) there is no way to adjust note duration and note level.
Maybe using middle and right click + mouse wheel could be doable ? What do you think about ?

1 Like

Good point! I think I might add the adjustment of velocity and note length (back) into the menu. I had a play just now with the idea of click and drag but we discussed this at a recent Zynth Club and consensus was to use click and drag to move the note rather than change its dynamics. An option might be for click and drag to move the note when adding but to adjust velocity and duration if the note already exists but it might be challenging to avoid accidental adjustment of a parameter, e.g. when trying to remove an item. I will have more of a play.

Canā€™t see a difference between Patern & Song Editor & donā€™t seem to be able to get into Pattern Editor ā€¦ .

Have we lost status as well?

Iā€™ll wait, of course. Today i wanted to reply what i did the last time but it was impossible. I swear yesterday i was able to play different patterns with different synths at the same time using zynpad, now i canā€™t! Everything goes through one midi channel and one only sound. I suppose i didnā€™t do anything different.
In the end i just wanted to play so i launched a pattern with the sequencer on channel 1 and immprovised with a keyboard on channel 2. The idea was to arrange a berlin-school version of ā€œSave a prayerā€. Both sounds are from OBXD, wich i think itā€™s the best and most usable Zynthian synth.

3 Likes

Hi Chris
itā€™s for pattern selection: when youā€™re in this screen, back button to select the pattern number.
I can start stop the sequencer with controls of my external hardware after having disabled Midi clock internal in admin menu.

I confirm pattern edition mode is lost (come back pleeeaase)

And can you tell me how you do these screenshots ?

Hi Nicolaz,
the way I do: in zynPad, I play the first pattern A1 for example and using the stepseq menu => ā€œmidi channelā€ I assign the midi channel I want. Then stop the first pattern and repeat the process for the next one and so on.

Be sure also that single channel mode is deactivated in amin menu

1/ log onto the appropriate zynth ( Iā€™ve got a few, donā€™t judge meā€¦)
2/ export DISPLAY=:0.0 # dont forget this line if I donā€™t put it on my linux host machine locks up !!
3/ scrot fred.png
4/ python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8765
5/ point a brwser at the zynth.local:8765 & you should see the files in rootā€¦
6/ select fred.png
7/ Control C to stop the simpleHTTPSserver . . . .

Personally Iā€™d like to be able to pcik the screen grab up in the captures menu!!

1 Like

for sure I wonā€™t Iā€™ve got two running here: one with feature/stepseq (itā€™s my usual one) and another for testing the next zynthian rc :wink:

Thank you for the tip, I will test it right now.

For sure and even more: a CUIA action for assigning a button to this !!

1 Like

He heā€¦ I was telling my kids as we walked back from the shops just now that you lot would be bemoaning the apparent loss of pattern editor. I didnā€™t put an update message here because there is a list of fixes I want to apply but seeing as you noticedā€¦

Pattern editor is now hidden behind the song editor.

• Select patterns to add to the song using the LAYER encoder
  • Bold press the SELECT encoder or bold click on the pattern
  • The pattern editor is shown for this pattern with the trackā€™s MIDI channel selected

Each song track may have its MIDI channel set from the song editorā€™s menu option ā€œMIDI channelā€.
ZynPad loads its pads with the tracks from the song selected from its menu option ā€œSongā€. The pads are coloured based on the songā€™s trackā€™s group and play on the MIDI channel of the songā€™s track.

There is an undesirable feature at the moment that the song will play at the same time as the zynpads. This is actually a desirable feature as we may want to start a song playing to provide backing then play the pads live but I am working on a method to separate them so they donā€™t interfere with each other.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve got dungeons full of poor woh begotten souls who stare dejectedly at zynthian all day for this sort of catchā€¦

Sheā€™s earned a ten minute walk round the battlements on the strength of this . . .

ā€¦ woooops. . . .

plucks up a raven, marked front gate, and sticks on a note ā€˜two moreā€¦ā€™

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have whatever @wyleuā€™s been having, please. Make it a Friday double.

2 Likes

I take the same. Good stuff here.

ā€œSticks on a noteā€ā€¦
Shouldnā€™t that be ā€œstaplesā€?
:grin:

2 Likes

This is with the master branch versionā€¦

The tempo increases whilst the sequence runs but seems to reset itself a1t certain points. . .

elp_karnevil9-part3.mid (954 Bytes)

Sorry about the delay my laptop overheated and wouldnā€™t run this afternoon.

I have recorded this on a completely remote zynthian ( zynthian-amp2.local) which is controlled by using a similar layer on the sequencer zynth on the same channels as the remote machine ( all connected via qmidinet) so I can control the volume of the remote zynth on my local tochscreen, so I could turn the remote volume down ā€¦ :slight_smile:

Notice the volume on both is 78 ā€¦ :smiley: this was controlled from the touch screen machine (light Blue) and reflected on the controlled machine ( Dark Blue) ā€¦

1 Like