Zynthian as Wifi Hotspot

Hi @Zynthianers!

The idea:

If we are using zynthian somewhere without a router for connection, Zynthian would act as a Wi-Fi Hotspot, allowing connection via SSH or even access to MOD-UI or WebConfig.

How to make?

I tested on my Zynthian and the result was satisfactory. The connection got a bit slow to access the MOD-UI, but I still have to do a few more tests.

Regards!

I tried with my Raspi2 and external Edimax dongle to no avail.
Found some pages where they say, that I have to recompile the device driver.
Gave up and going to use my phone as hotspot.

But I liked the idea :slight_smile:

When i’ve some time, i will try it. It’s a good idea!! :wink:

Just made one a hotspot (latest Rpi3 B+) and it MOD thingies are nicely controlled from ipad. The idea works. It will be great for mobile performances (on the street for instance). Great idea !

For those like me, who like the hopspot to be permanent (while using lan for updates) - this manual helped me: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md

New ZynthianOS images are configured by default as Wifi HotSpot :wink:

Regards,

Discovered an unpleasant detail with hotspot on - there is noise in the speakers with every system activity (like on a latpop sometimes, when the power is not grounded properly) Once I stop the WiFi - it is absolutely clear and silent. Have proper grounding at my space. Tried powering zynthian with power supply and power bank - same. Did anyone encountered same effect ?

Turned WiFi hotspot off until further investigation

Hi @dhrupadiya!

I’m not a radio expert, but i would try a usb wifi-dongle, disabling the RBPi3 internal Wifi device. The internal wifi’s antenna is about 2-3 cm under the soundcard … not too good :wink:

When using a usb wifi dongle, a metal case should help too…

Regards,

Thank you @jofemodo, that is exactly what I have suspected. By I have thought about moving the soundcard aside the main board (new connecting cable) in a new case I am making. Will try with the dongle and write back.