Zynthian Box with Audio-input (Audioinjector soundcard)

We had problems with AS but now it should be working OK. AFAIK, the only MIDI commands that should create problems are “big” SysEx sequences.

Anyway, a bug could be hidden, but i would need a way to reproduce the error…

Regards,

I don’t know if this is the best thread to ask but, Is it usually cheaper to 3D Print a case (like with Shapeways) than to get a lasercut version made? I found the lasercut file for the AudioInjector version but I guess I’d have to modify the cutout for a 3.5" screen? Also add MIDI-Thru. There is no finished design for this in 3D Print or Lasercut, right? Best bet is to learn Blender basics?

My AudioInjector boards just arrived and I want to build a second Zynthian with a 3.5" screen and a MIDI Thru. Modifying the laser files to accommodate is now on my short list. I’m still kind of busy, but I will be posting my updated case onto github soon (I hope). I’ll also try to post some photos of the case when it’s done.

2 Likes

Well, here’s my first prototype laser-cut AudioInjector Zynthian box. I rotated the Pi and card 90° to allow direct access to all the I/Os. Unfortunately, the All-in-One board is just a bit too long to fit nicely in the standard sized case with a rotated brain. I’ve got a few ideas though, like mounting it at 45° and also cutting it into 2 pieces. Perhaps I’ll give both a go. Notice the 3 holes for MIDI IN, THRU and OUT. I’ll also add some holes for the LEDs. Love to have your comments and suggestions.

2 Likes

:grinning::grinning::grinning: I don’t have any suggestions right now but this is very exciting! I love how compact it’s looking! Maybe the all-in-one could be mounted higher with custom wiring and wood as standoffs? Then I imagine it would be half hovering over the audioInjector, and I also don’t know it that’s good for heat etc? I have no experience with any Zynthian case in person. Ok I guess had I some ideas :slight_smile: Oh! One thing I can’t see is if there’s access on the bottom to change out the SD card. I realized I couldn’t get to it when I was just trying to mount mine to a board, so I had to raise the RPi up about an inch with some plastic so I could barely access the card.

I’m always dreaming up weird case designs in my head, like a very short in height rack-style Zynthian with the 4 encoders and screen facing 90 degrees forwards. (like that amazing metal one someone made but a lot smaller and thinner.)

Or spreading everything out horizontally, also very short height, with extra encoders. It would take up more desk space though.

Do You Mean …Success Cases - #62 by Schpion

2 Likes

Not easy to beat!! @Schpion put the level really high!! :star_struck:

1 Like

I can’t seem to in-bed an image from that thread here. . … .

Easy, my friend. From your browser’s left-click menu, copy “Image’s URL” and after paste like that:

:kissing_heart:

Regards,

2 Likes

Besides that, @rockwater meant the recent metal rack, but as U1.

@mheidt better explained the one I was thinking of, I should have linked it! Yes 1U maybe 19" or half-rack would be pretty great, could fit that in with eurorack/modular system case but I’d still want good usability. Now that’s got me thinking of a Zynthian mounted by the narrow edge in eurorack format. Like these:

But with all ports re-wired to be front-facing.
Mounted this way behind or next to it:

http://robertoostenveld.nl/raspberry-pi-as-eurorack-synthesizer-module/

Huge one:

http://robertoostenveld.nl/raspberry-pi-as-eurorack-synthesizer-module/

Terminal Tedium is similar but entirely Pure Data I believe, Raspberry Pi behind the panel, or just entire touchscreen next to it I linked the other day too:

But I also have LOVED that small metal case, that was amazing, I think that’s how I discovered that small DAC as well!

3 Likes

Well, works for now haha! Cardboard and zip-ties! Ports pretty stable actually. Deserves a better home, I don’t like janky looking stuff. But first time all in one box, so that’s a good feeling.

4 Likes