Zynthian built, but a little bit "crazy"

Hi, i just finished building zynthian from a kit. at first start it worked fine. After a zynthian software update, became highly unstable, menu items move themselves like crazy, then UI crashes, and sometimes audio board turns off (the green light ) … i tried to reload the previous gorgona release (the one present here) but it’s like it took a virus… other times, it calms a bit down, and plays… but after a while starts to make glitches and sound freezes. Touchscreen seems to be working well… but i will give a look to touch surface against aluminium… but, can this issue disturb the correct encoders functionality? or i should check the capacitors soldering? at first try everything worked fine…now just one of 4 is working perfect in any condition…

Just a suggestion: is it possible to add a “cpu panic” function, maybe thru double encoder long press? just for avoiding unwanted overload noises…

HI @ivanmonterosso!

• First, update software twice. Gorgona image needs to be updated twice. Also update the library. A new image is coming very soon … :wink:
  • Try to re-align the display and avoid tightening the bolts too much.
  • And of course, re-check connections and contacts. Sometimes dupont connectors make a weak contact and need to be pressed with a pair of pliers …

Good luck!!

hi, thanks for tips, i will do as many as i can… have bought another touch screen for any situation…will try to replace it… until now i checked all contacts of dupont connectors and theorically all encoders are working, but the thing i can’t understand is why freshly turned on the “select” encoder works (the one i can try immediately) and after few minutes is no more reacting to rotation. push works on every encoder,. Finally, until it freezes after excessive xruns, touch surface works… the display is mounted with the separator plastic… so theorically there’s no touch between display and aluminum case…but all the things mentioned before are repeated with unmounted display.

hi, i thought to make a video, to watch directly (almost) all the issues.
i write down a little explanation of video contents:
i even tried to exchange working enconders with suspect faulty, but behaviour changes. tried to check all dupont wires, but evertything seems ok. tried to mount without hifi berry, thinking about bad soldering of 40pin on it, but reactions are identical. replaced touchscreen entirely, but nothing changed…
I’m on the way of buying a basic kit prebuilt. i don’t think there are problems on hifiberry or a bad working raspberry… or… i don’t know. any suggestions?

note: when i say “snapshot doesn’t change to save”, it does… but it’s a temporary miracle …

Hi,

seems to me that the encoders not wired correctly (maybe accidentially shifted by one pin at the 40pin male ribbon cable connector or so).
What i found was, that some of the Dupont wires were a bit slackly, others plug very strong.

Maybe you can add some photos of your internal wiring. Maybe we can get some hints to potential problems…

Try checking for shorts between adjacent ribbon conductors at the connectors., this can produce very strange effects that come and go in random fashions .
IT only needs to be the tiniest hairline bit o solder.
Disconnect all the connectors ( yes I know) and check the pins at the boards with a multimeter, and examine the connectors with a magnifying glass.
Leave specific encoder connectors disconnected and see if the remaining encoders behave themselves.

Just some suggestions

thanks… i’ve already done with magnifying glass… at the moment i had to leave alone the unit for other job issues…will try everything, before buying an entirely basic kit brand new, and pre-built…

ok, i will try to do shots… but i don’t think i made wrong wiring… (or i hope so… it depends :wink: )

anyway i’m still wondering why it changes behaviours or some encoder becomes unresponsive or menus change alone only after few minutes, and not immediately…if it’s bad wired, should be anytime.

Hi @ivanmonterosso!

First, of course, check wiring :wink: I know you already did it, but this is the main cause of problems with controllers, so don’t feel confident. Read the instructions and be sure that you connect the wires in the right order.

Second, be sure all the connections are OK. Dupont connectors are not the best and sometimes you need to press the head with a pair of pliers (or your teeth!) to get the connector working OK. Also, becareful when connecting the dupont heads to the controller itself, avoid putting the metalic part of the dupont head in the PCB side, as it can touch the soldering. FYI, I’m redesigning the kits and dupont connectors will be replaced by JST ones.

Third, perhaps some of your controller modules is broken in some way. Bad soldering, bad PCB orientation, broken encoder, etc. You can check it with a multimeter using the “continuity” function:

• Pin 1, 4 => Twisting the encoder you should listen “piripiripiripiripiri”
  • Pin 2, 4 => Twisting the encoder you should listen “piripiripiripiripiri”
  • Pin 3, 4 => Pushing the switch you should listen “piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii”

Numbering is from left to right, looking the controller from top side.

If some of your encoders is not working properly, please, send me it and i will replace it. No problem with it! :wink:

Regards!

ok thanks, just today i bought 2 sets of brand new dupont wires… and an encoder, just for comparison… i will let you know what will happen :wink:

Also, check that the zyncoder library is updated and compiled. Connect your Zynthian Box to your router, login and type:

cd /zynthian/zyncoder git pull cd build make

Restart and check if it’s solved :wink:

Regards!

Ok…Will do soon this task…in the meantime, guys… good (bad) news. in my case there are 2 faulty encoders. today, together with dupont wires,i bought one and for now i attached it without pcb and… it works!! …i believe it’s not a pcb fault… it’s the encoder for sure …in general, my opinion Is push switch can get easier to get faulty, more than rotary… i suggest to separate the switches. yes i know, it’s less cool, but if something get faulty… it is separable…also i think a smoother switch could Be more comfortable… I will probably do this mod on my unit.