Zynthian live on TV (almost)

Hey folks,

tl;dr: There will be a TV-like show on Youtube including some (probably) nice live video footage featuring organ+synth from a Zynthian starting at Friday, 15.10., 10:50 Central European Time, but also remaining there after the live show to watch.

Long version: xD
My old university where I studied Sound and Music Production, namely Darmstadt University of Applied sciences, does a live streaming show production to welcome their new first semester students. In fact, the whole production is powered by their very own media students and the last few days tell me, that whole thing is quite ambitious and impressive.
Well, somehow I ended up in the shows’ live band playing intros+outros, jingles, background noise etc.
And because my life rig makes heavy use of a Zynthian (mainly setbfree for organ, but also occasional synths), I naturally sneaked that beauty in there. Side effect: There is some professionally made content in the end where it is featured quite prominently at several places (at least on the audio side, will see what the camera people end up doing tomorrow).
So actually of course the show is primarily about the university, targeted at new ones, but also a showcase of the media department’s skills and then, for us here, apparently also a little Zynthian live performance here and there.

Little trivia:

• Those of you that already know the story of my organ case style life rig, well, there you will see the final appearance. At some point, I guess I might do a writeup of the build process.
  • Two night shifts of tinkering between rehearsal days gave me the joy of a new power supply that not uses Micro-USB anymore. Makes me very happy and apparently looks nice and rock solid.

Have to sleep now, show tomorrow means getting up way too early :joy:

Cheers,
Bernhard

10 Likes

Glad you got the psu sorted!

Get into the admin menu and run zynthian update live after the first song! It’ll be great!

1 Like

Hi Bernhard,

super fantastic! I just have seen the Zynthian :zynlogo: inside your setup :zynface:

BTW: Very cool “case” for your setup :grin:

1 Like

With his Pi3 that will take 30 minutes giving him time for a nice mid-gig cuppa.

1 Like

It’s like building a house, it’s never finished !

So what have we got here then … ?

Thanks for all the kind words, it was an absolute blast!
I sorted out some timestamps to make sneak peaking into the show easier if one only wants to listen to the music here and there.

The Zynthian bits:
29:52 Intro feat. setBfree organ
1:11:54 Band introduction feat. setBfree organ
1:13:12 Game starts feat. Zynaddsubfx brass
1:18:00 Game answer: wrong (can anyone guess the sound used?)
1:33:12 Stinger feat. setBfree organ
1:43:11 Stinger feat. setBfree organ
2:08:30 Interlude feat. setBfree organ
(actually it starts at 2:08:57, but there was audio problems, so the shiny part is later on)

The not-so-Zynthian, but still funky bits:
33:20 University’s president enters
59:13 Stinger
1:02:44 Stinger
1:24:06 Game answer: correct
2:03:07 Stinger (including glitches xD)
2:19:37 Show closing

maybe also interesting for some:
25:05 Making of the show production

Enjoy!

… Just no. xD
(From which network btw? eduroam?)

Well, I already hat a standard Pi3 power supply with a destroyed micro USB plug on it. So that already has the right voltage and everything I need, it was just about the plug. Jofe had already drilled the hole into the case, so I just replaced the plug with a coaxial one and use the power pins on the Hifiberry. Works like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

Roland A-49 on top connected to the Zynthian for all things organ and synth and Roland RD-64 at the bottom for pianos and clavinets. Rest is lots of chaotic woodwork and hella lot of cabling inside :joy:

2 Likes