Zynthian lost of sound then come back after 30 secondes

Hello Zynthian community,
I build a custom Zynthian with Hifiberry dac + adc.
7 inch screen, and MCP 23017 extra.
Everything works well well. But after 10mn using Zynthian I lost the sound for 30" and then the sound come-back. And then every 5mn the sound is back and lost again… Like a loop.
Help will be really appreciate to resolve this problem.
I have zero level in programming, just arduino basic.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Warm regards to all of you.

Hi @Maurice

What software versions are you using? You can post the output of webconf dashboard. What instruments / effects are you using?

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much to take time to reply my email, it is very kind of you.
I use the Zynthian img from September 2021.
I join the capture of my screen on link files.
( sorry my english is not perfect, appologize if I do grammar mistakes.)

In advance, many thanks.

Best regards.

Maurice

You have quite a few engines running there:

• 2 x ZynAddSubFx
  • 2 x Fluidsynth
  • 1 x Linux Sampler

Try with just one engine to see how that behaves and try adding engines until the issue occurs. It could be a particular engine / preset / combination.

Hi Brian,

I try with 1 engine only. I use ZY>Arpeggios/Arpeggio7 and then I change to ZY>Bass/Bass3 analog.
Same problems. After few mn, I lost the sound for 10-20" then back and lost again, like a loop.
I check the temperature of the cpu and it always below 51 deg.
I really don’t understand what happened.

Regards.
Maurice

Check the log which is accessible via webconf.

Hi Brian,

Please find a copy of the UI log.

Apr 14 12:29:56 zynthian startx[1700]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui_controller.config: ZCTRL ‘Bank’: 12 (0 → 14), None, None
Apr 14 12:29:57 zynthian startx[1700]: INFO:zynthian_gui.zynswitch_short: Short Switch 1
Apr 14 12:29:57 zynthian startx[1700]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.zynswitch_short: BACK TO SCREEN => layer
Apr 14 12:29:57 zynthian startx[1700]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui_controller.config: ZCTRL ‘Layer’: 1 (0 → 14), None, None
Apr 14 12:29:58 zynthian startx[1700]: INFO:zynthian_gui.zynswitch_short: Short Switch 1
Apr 14 12:29:58 zynthian startx[1700]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui.zynswitch_short: BACK TO SCREEN => main
Apr 14 12:29:58 zynthian startx[1700]: DEBUG:zynthian_gui_controller.config: ZCTRL ‘Main’: 0 (0 → 10), None, None
Apr 14 12:30:01 zynthian startx[1700]: INFO:zynthian_gui.zynswitch_short: Short Switch 3
Apr 14 12:30:01 zynthian startx[1700]: INFO:zynthian_gui_main.step_sequencer: Step Sequencer
Apr 14 12:30:46 zynthian startx[1700]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!
Apr 14 12:32:38 zynthian startx[1700]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!
Apr 14 12:35:13 zynthian startx[1700]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!
Apr 14 12:36:34 zynthian startx[1700]: WARNING:zynthian_autoconnect.cb_jack_xrun: Jack Audio XRUN!

I put in strong black when the sound goes out and then back. Average every 3 mn I lose the sound.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards.

Maurice

My money is on power supply or usb lead.

Hello Mr Broccoli,
Do you think is due to a power supply problem?
I use an official Raspberry 5v 3 amp PSU.
Regards
Maurice

I try with a 5v 5amp PSU, same problem…

I am not as experienced as the developers here but I would like to know which device you use for triggering the Zynthian instruments. Master-Keyboard with USB or Midi-connection?

Hi Lumm,

I using only the sequencer for the moment, no keyboard yet.

Regards

Maurice

I know this much… A pi 4 with a 7 inch screen running on a official pi powersupply, using a usb soundcard that is powered separately, can still show :zap::zap::zap: icons and when it does, it x-runs.

You are running more than I was on your setup.

How do you power the 7inch screen?

Hi Mr Broccoli,

No I didn’t have the low power icon. I try with a bench power supply set at 5v 5 amp.
And no difference, still have the sound lost and back after 20".
Not easy to play music like this… :disappointed_relieved:
The 7" is power via usb from the Pi

Regards

Maurice

Can you try to power the screen separately?

Just did it, same problem…

This is a nightmare…

Hi @Maurice !
It’s a strange case, yes.

Do you see the red-triangle “warning” symbol? You should, as your log shows you have XRuns.

What SD-card brand and model are you using? Could you try to burn a fresh SD-image? Please, use a brand-new SD-card.
Also, could you try the testing branch? It would be interesting to see if your issue is present in testing too.

More … Is your sound card an original Hifiberry soundcard or some driver-compatible one?

Regards,

Your SD shows as 12GB which is odd! What capacity is it? We don’t see many 8GB RPi here. I wonder if anyone else running stable on an 8GB device can confirm it works fine for them it may be a routing issue. If you can enable VNC in the webconf then accessed the desktop and run Patchage you may see routes changing during this period which could be helpful diagnostics.

It seems that the first-boot process that resize the partition (among other tasks) didn’t finish properly.
For sure @Maurice, you should burn the SD again, and leave the first boot to do its bussines, so the partition can be fully resized.

Regards!