Before I throw my Zynthian out of the window

I don’t know.
Saving ZS3 states. After recalling them I get a random mess. Usually the first presets in the list.
arpeggiator is not working as a midi chain.
sound in linuxsampler stops at random. Reset is the only way I get it back to work.
Recalling a ZS snapshot gives me sounds I never choose.
There’s no way I will take this messy device onto a stage.

Is this ‘normal’ behaviour of a zynthian v5 or have I been doing something totally wrong?
I’m running out of enthousiasm

If you paste the snapshot files I’m messing around with my keyrig right now, I’ll see if I can replicate the problem at least.

Do I gather correctly you’ve got a “real” v5 or is it something you built yourself/headless?

how do I paste the snapshot files?

it’s a ‘real’ one

I have not done this yet, but as I understand it you can save your snapshot files out from the webconf, and then you would “attach” them to a followup reply. I believe they are quite small so should not be a big issue even on slow internet, I don’t think?

Thanks for your time. But I can’t get the files on my laptop.

Is that because technical reasons like not having an ethernet cable, or because most of what I just said was gibberish? If the latter, I can possibly help with that. I’m gonna be in this room mucking around with my rig for the next few hours.

Edit: I have several years of doing direct user support in IT under my belt, and I am not afraid to use those skills in the name of keeping people happy with their zynthians. :>

3 Likes

i think I found the problem.
first was myself. I turned zs3 off.
But there’s a strange thing. When you choose a ZS3 snapshot, somehow it doesn’t always select the right channel. Only when you change the program on that channel.

1 Like

I seem to recall, when trawling through the settings pages, that there is an option having to do with channels and saving channels, I think it along the lines of saving the entire system config or something. I went with the fully nuclear choice, whatever it was. Save and retrieve everything everytime you ask me. :>

where did you find this settings page?

In the webconf. If that doesn’t make any sense, we might need to educate you a bit about how network addresses work, as well as some quirks about the wifi in the v5 (it doesn’t work, basically, unless you put a dongle in a usb port).

What we need is for your web browser and your zynthian to be on the same network, first. Then you connect to your zynthian’s network address and there is a whole bunch of pages where you can setup all sorts of things.

You can usually go to http://zynthian.local/ in your browser, if the zynthian is plugged into the same router as your computer is connected to.

Edit: You can also take a network cable and plug it directly into your Zynthian’s RJ45 and your computer’s, if you’ve got an RJ45 ethernet port available.

I think I got that far. I turned on wifi hotspot on the zynthian and acces zynthian.local from my browser. But there is not a lot of settings to choose from. Which setting do you refer to?

1 Like

If you look at the Interface menu, there’s both UI option and Midi options, it would be in one of those I’m pretty sure. But explore that whole thing if you haven’t, there’s all kinds of cool stuff to discover. :>

ok, i’ll have a second look tomorrow. Zynthian and me got a little more friendly towards each other this evening. Thanks!

1 Like

It’s definitely not ready for that from my experience so far. I think there’s some refinements which could be made to the software to eventually achieve something performance-ready but it’s not there today. The Zynthian v5 could be considered production-ready for some home studio use cases right now but not for live performance. However, there are new features in the works which should improve it for that use case.

Chill out guys, I gig with a zynth. It’s fine for me.

3 Likes

Used it lots of times in all kinds of live and studio situations for both playing instruments and sound installations.

If you have specific issues then, please, report bugs or feature requests.

There is a page specifically set up for this…

1 Like

I am a very cheap bastard, and I have gigged with much more primitive Ubuntu Studio-based rigs going back to about 2015 at least.

My process of Zynthian adoption was, I tested it headless first, and was impressed at the stability. Then I built myself one based on my own Teensy controller, and again, the only thing I didn’t like was my own inability to program the rotaries so they turned on a dime. Required two dimes (detentes) to make the u-turn.

I do not see an issue with stability, going back years. Both my homebrews and the V5 I got in the last year, I leave them idling for weeks at a time, come back, it’s still ready to go with the patch I had set. Like I said, I’m a cheap bastard, and I would not have spent on the hardware if I wasn’t pretty damn sure about the software.

That being said - in the end, this is still a Linux computer that runs C code, and the fundamental Unix philosophy is to give you all the tools to shoot yourself in the foot, possibly give you a warning prompt if possible, but generally speaking, you are perfectly able to run sudo rm -R / at any time. Part of my stable experience, I’m pretty sure, is that Dexed, Pianoteq, ZynAddSubFX and the occasional soundfont file have always taken care of my needs. I have definitely had the experience of loading up some random engine and having it go sideways. Hence my interest in the problem snapshot - I’m positive it reveals a bug that needs fixing.

If there’s a weakness, or weaknesses, in what gets shipped with each OS, it will be the many lurking bugs in the many Libre engines that the core team are only implementing in the Zynthian UI - unlike a Roland or Yamaha device, most of the programs that actually generate the noise on a Zynthian already existed before it and will continue to exist (and be available to run as a standalone program/plugin) if Zynthian ever dies.

Capitalist devices will always include guardrails, some well-advised and some just a matter of charging you more for that feature. Zynthian gives you everything with only minimal guardrails; likely it will never be for everyone, even if it reaches the point of being objectively just as good, sonically, as anything else on the market.

4 Likes

Hi Ben!

As i told you, your use-case is not a sweat-pearl. It’s not common at all and quite complex. Anyway, as i explained to you, i took your use-case as a kind of challenge and an opportunity for testing our latest developments regarding MIDI routing and more.

Probably i’ve failed to explain this before (i think already did it, but i forgot the thread), and have been too optimistic It’s clear that your use case is complex enough and we (developers) need to persevere. You can be sure we will solve it, sooner than later, because this is the way we progress. Anyway, perhaps you could give us some example of a good device in the market that already solve your use case as you like, so we can look on it for inspiration. This would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

It is not bad if people know what they are buying for a lot of money. To avoid situations like this, perhaps we could add a few paragraphs to the Terms and Conditions page of the webshop, or even better, we could put checkboxes somewhere with this kind of text:

1. I accept that Zynthian is a computer running a special Linux operating system, developed by a community, and is therefore in a virtually continuous experimental phase.
  2. I declare that I am an experienced Linux user or a system administrator or at least a very brave power user. I am familiar with basic concepts, not afraid to use the terminal and similar tools.
  3. I acknowledge that in using Zynthian I will sometimes spend more time debugging than playing music.
  4. I declare that I have read the discussions on https://discourse.zynthian.org/ prior to purchase.
  5. I declare that I have built a DIY Zynthian prior to purchase, so I am aware of the possibilities and limitations.