Build with pisound and MCP23017

Hy,
I had some parts laying around and decided to do something with it: Trying out Zynthian.

I have Raspberry Pi 3B and a 7" Touchscreen (USB and HDMI) already running Zynthian with dummy config.

I Also have a MCP23017, encoders and a Pisound laying around. I read about problems with the pins using a Pisound but also that these Problems are fixed with the new all in one board that is using MCP23017.

What do i have to do to get the Pisound working with the encoders?

Thanks for your help,
Matthias

Just open up the webconf (zynthian.local zynthian-amp2.local is just one of my machines . . . )
and after selecting custom in the kit menu,

select Pisound in the audio hardware section . . .

That should get your audio side going…

then send us a sound sample when it works ! :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Thanks! I already have the audio side of things sorted out. I think I should have made clearer that I’m confused on how to wire the encoders.

HI @matzemoerk!

Nice to meet you, mate! Welcome to the Zynthian community!

Have you took a look to the AllInOne schematic? :wink:

http://wiki.zynthian.org/images/4/44/Zynthian_allinone.sch.svg
sch

Regards

EDIT: Just found out, that the pins are configurable in the webconfig tool. Great!!

Thanks! I just had a look at the available Pins when using a Pisound. I have the I2C Pins available on the PiSound Headers (BCM 2 and BCM 3). In the schematic MCP pins 19 and 20 are connected to BCM 26 and BCM 16. These two pins are not available when using the Pisound.

Can i change the mappings in the software so i can use two of the remaining pins? Available on the Pisound header is BCM 2,3,4,5,6,7,14,15,22,23,27.

1 Like

You can use any of the available pins as INT pins and configure from the webconf tool (hardware => wiring).

Regards,

1 Like

I wired everything up on a breadboard following the schematics. But it is not working.
I can see, that the MCP23017 is detected, but the encoder Test is not changing.

root@zynthian:~# i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: 20 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

SW0 = 0
ZC0 = 64
SW1 = 0
ZC1 = 64
SW2 = 0
ZC2 = 64
SW3 = 0
ZC3 = 64

I think that something is wrong with my MCP23017 (i have this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07PMGGPN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I also tried multiple encoders.

Anything else i can check before ordering replacements?

Have you tried to disconnect the pisound board?

I did all the encoder testing without it. I have some replacements ordered. I’m pretty shure the MCP23017 is dead. I noticed that it got pretty hot, maybe there was a short i didn’t notice on the breadboard somewere.

Some else had a hot chip on the Blank screen (HDMI Shows boot to black screen with terminal prompt))

This might help.

They did kill the chip sadly … :frowning:

I took some steps towards a working system. Pisound and the encoders are working. Changed the mcp and it just worked fine

1 Like

Excellent ! :slight_smile:
Wonderful :smiley:
Any chance of a sound sample?:face_with_monocle:

As soon as I have time for it!

1 Like

Please … and some photos also will be great!! :wink:

One from the workbench. I’m designing and printing some prototype brackets to mount the encoders to the display.

4 Likes

Small update:

5 Likes