Bye Bye V4... V5 is coming!

Bold-stop do all-sounds-off in V5.
Also, you can click mixer button and move main volume knob. You are always one click from main volume knob. This is enough for most people :nerd_face:

Regards

2 Likes

Thank you for this hint. No one reason more to get V5 :slight_smile:
Although there are software volume control solutions available for V4 and V5, I would prefer one hardware out volume control. Nearly every electronic instrument or musical device on the market has a hardware volume control. This will always work, regardless of the software, even if the software breaks down.

1 Like

IMHO, if the software breaks, it doesn’t have much sense to move a hardware volume wheel.

Regards!

2 Likes

Looks amazing, saving my pennies already :slight_smile:

Are the knobs clickable as with V4, or has that been replaced by the buttons in V5?

It looks sleek anyway, more like a classic desktop synth (if there is such a thing). V4 is a but chubby looking but on the other hand it’s very compact when you don’t have a lot of space.

I wonder if V4 could be made to run 25% faster too, with a more active cooling system.

There has been some discussion on this in other topics, even going a bit further, whether V4 or the ‘zynductor’ would be enough cooling to allow 2GHz overclocking.

To ‘cut to the chase’ from @ jofemodo:

If you have V4, you could use overclocking carefully, given that the zynductor is well installed. If ambient temperature is low-enough you shouldn’t have problems when using maximum speed (2GHz), but be warned that you probably would have problems if ambient temperature goes beyond 20ºC.

If you keep an eye on system temperature by refreshing webconf’s dashboard, you could change to a lower overclocking profile when temperature goes higher than 60-65ºC.

So… if you added more cooling, like a fan, you could survive at even higher ambient temp.

For the fuller discussion see:

and:

and for even more, search on “zynductor”

1 Like

A beautiful view of the V5:

BTW, we are almost there …

Enjoy!

13 Likes

hello, great prototype! I don’t know if you’ve thought about it (I haven’t read all the posts about it, I can’t read English :slight_smile: )? If this new version is with touch screen, if it is not already planned, it would be good to provide a hole in the case to store the stylus there :slight_smile: This would avoid losing it, or looking for it everywhere (c is a little extra)

1 Like

That is a really good idea for the old V4 with small resistive pressure) touchscreen but the V5 had a larger capacitive touchscreen which does not need a stylus. I am considering drilling a hole in the to of my V3 & V4 cases and fixing a sleeve to hold the stylus.

3 Likes

Hi @zynthianers & eurorack lovers … or both!

The zynthian eurorack protoype is on the way and it will look like this:

We hope to have a fully functional prototype running at Sonar2023. The release should be about september, but we have doubts about the quantity we should produce.

Regarding the design, it’s splitted in 2 modules:

• V5 rack
  • Zynface V5 rack

People wanting a zynthian to mount in a a 19" rack for gigging, probably don’t need the CV/Gate.

Also, i have to say that the V5 rack design is quite deep, so don’t think in mounting it in the thinest eurorack cases. You need at less 11 cm. Anyway, don’t worry about it, we hope to offer a complete solution including an eurorack stand that could be mounted inside a 19" rack :wink:

Enjoy!

14 Likes

Wow, now I’m absolutely excited. At the moment my connection to eurorack is done by an ES-9 from Expert Sleepers via USB in zynthian’s V4 box. Works like a charm using all the input channels and mixing it down to channel 1&2 of the outputs. (with a little hacking in the autoconnect code I managed it to bend it to outputs 10&11).
Unfortunately CV signals on the ES-9 can only be generated using puredata atm, because there is no CV out possibility in zynthian’s software nor in MOD-UI directly.
How is it managed in this prototype? Is there a special CV routing so you can use CV signals from several LV2 plugins? Or is it only audio signals coming out and going in into the zynthian CV extension? Where could I get information about this?
:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So a breakiut cable to the CV/gate module would be interesting.

Depends a lot on the type of gigs one does…

2 Likes

Currently everything is bond to MIDI, what allows integrating with almost everything inside zynthian.
No “LV2’s native CV/Gate” support yet. It would be nice, but let’s proceed step by step, my friend.

You can:

INPUT:

• Assign CV-IN => MIDI CC / PITCH BEND / CHAN PRESS
  • Assign Gate-IN => MIDI CC /CC SWITCH / / NOTE / PRG CHANGE
  • Assign CV/Gate IN pair => MIDI NOTE

OUTPUT:

• Assign MIDI CC / PITCH BEND / CHAN PRESS => CV-OUT
  • Assign MIDI NOTE => Gate-OUT
  • Assign MIDI NOTE => CV/Gate OUT pair

Also, you can do bizarre things like assigning gate-in signals to CUIA. I’ve not experimented with this, but i would encourage people to find something useful/interesting to do with this.

Regards!

2 Likes

effectively reposting here is the zynseq driving the Gate OUT’s which are wired to the LED’s in this machine with the notes allocated to the same notes as are in the sequence.

It’s inverted ( LED off, when Gate Out high) but there’s a feature request in for that…

1 Like

This look beautiful,

A survey ?

Or just wait and see (after Sonar ?)

2 Likes

I Need It Now Right Now GIF - I Need It Now Right Now Asap GIFs

Besides the depth, the other issue is the power consumption. Will it still need its own power supply?

No. It can be powered from the eurorack’s 12V rail, taking about 1 Amp

1 Like

The only problem with that is that 1a of 12v is quite a lot for a eurorack device. Let me explain… This is about as powerful as any eurorack PSU I have seen and is the most popular in big cases…

It has 2.8amp on the +12v so it should work fine, but you may run out of power on other modules. It will work though.

And then a more budget / common version :-

This has 1amp total on +12v and therefore you would need to dedicate it all to zyn5.

Obviously there are other solutions and psu’s. Ymmv.

2 Likes