Bye Bye V4... V5 is coming!

Would this allow LED to shine through? How does that work? Does it require an insert?

Of course. Silicone buttons are black coated and laser engraving removes the black coat, uncovering the raw silicone.

3 Likes

Will I be able to pillage anything from my v4 kit to make v5 or will I have to just buy the kit all over again? Maybe sans RPi?

1 Like

The RBPi will be reusable for sure.
Anything else, unless you want to desolder/solder SMD parts :nerd_face:

Regards!

2 Likes

Sounds like a party!

Desoldering party? Pain party for sure!! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I created a soldering hotplate from some old 3d printer parts and ever since soldering/desoldering smd has become super duper simple

This we must see!

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been meaning to share a guide somewhere but didn’t find the time to document it, Maybe a sneak-peek can be shared in zynth club in the next iteration

3 Likes

Thank you @jofemodo .

So I assume same behavior can be achieved with this kind of rgb switch

and these low profiles caps:

1 Like

I can’t find nothing about this switches having a RGB led. Are you sure?

Regards,

There"s a LED on footprint
same here:

But I have to say that I’m totally noob in that area

So there is an LED, but it doesn’t look like it is an RGB (read multi-color) LED.

these are presented as switches for custom (gamers) RGB keyboards
here’s another one:

Yes, that one appears to have an RCB LED that can be controlled to show various colors. The earlier one appears to have a single color LED - you can select what color when you buy it, but then you can just turn it on or off, not change the color. This is how I interpret the 2 web pages, but it is a bit hard to be sure, they are confusing.

Sometimes switches include a space for an LED, where you have to supply your own component - so that could be a single or multi-coloured LED.
With RGB keyboards the LED is usually surface mounted on the board, and the switch can be installed over the top. You just need to design the layout so that the LED aligns with a hole or light-pipe in the switch to illuminate the cap.

2 Likes

I made one too - it’s just a 2 inch thick aluminum bar I put on my stove! :joy:

This is exciting !

@le51

3 Likes

wouah !

and “this” work for soldering/desoldering ??