Corrupted latest stable image issue?

Hi all! I am new to the community and was trying to use Zynthian OS for a project. However even though I tried several different times downloading the latest stable version and some previous version and got corrupted files. I checked with md5 file to see the hashnumbers matching and each time the different image files showed same number but not matching up with the corresponding md5 file hashnumber. What could be the issue?

Also I could burn the image into an sd card but the raspberry pi wouldnt install/load the OS. It throws an error of :

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

Hi @hero04

Good to see you here. I hope we can sort this and get you enjoying Zynthian and hopefully this community.

It looks like you are not able to flash a valid image to SD card. This often caused by the program used to flash the image. I now use Raspberry Pi Imager which works every time for me.

It looks like your download is failing. You should end up with an image that is 11.8GB. (It is big!) That should validate with the md-sum so if that is failing then you may be having interrupted download. Unfortunately we donā€™t have a minimal image so you need to be able to download that massive image successfully.

Hey, thanks for the response. I do have downloaded a 7gb or so zip file which eventually takes 12 gb or so like you said. But the latest version is not matching with its own md5 file. Also the other versions are not matching with their own md5 files. However we did download from another computer and the results were same. I even tried to install debian to rpi and then follow the commands on github page to install the zynthian os. But stuck at the last 2 lines. It gave an error of ā€œcant execute binary filesā€ or something like that.

ok, just redownloaded the last stable version and the cheksum of the zip file matched with the md5 file. however after burning the image into the sd card it still gives same ā€œend Kernel panic ā€¦ā€ error.

Please post the actual link you are downloading the image from, the application used to flash the image to SD, the operating system and what physical interface are you using to connect the SD card?

https://os.zynthian.org/ from this page via this link : https://os.zynthian.org/zynthianos-last-stable.zip

to flash the sd card used, raspberry pi imager, wind32 disk imager and USBit. All gave same error.

the sd card flashed in windows pc, connected to the pc via sd card adapter.

edit: also checked the image itself and md5 hashnumber is not matching up with the md5 checksum file. Also downloaded images on another pc and results are same.

FYI, the MD5 hash is from the zipped file.

Thanks!

ok, then no issues with the hash number matchings. However the end kernel panicā€¦ error remains same :frowning:

finally got some improvements on installing the os. used different rpi and different sd card, now its trying to install but after some time it gets zynthian login state and flashes the screen. I mean screen goes on and off repeatedly and it doesnt accept ā€œpiā€ and ā€œraspberryā€ credentials for zynthian login.

If you donā€™t have an official kit then you are going to have to connect to Zynthian via webconf and configure its hardware.

Yeah, i also figured that but it doesnt open browser interface when i go to its ip address. But just realized its ip address was different than what os shows on the screen. Thanks again for the help! I appreciate it.

Iā€™m hitting the same issue that hero04 ran into. This is on an official V4.4 kit with an 8GB RPi.

After confirming the MD5 checksum on the zip file, I used the ā€œddā€ cmd from another linux system to write the SD card. I can then mount the SD card and examine its contents, which look valid.

Where is the init file that the Zynthian OS is looking for and what should its contents be?

I now used the official ā€œrpi-imagerā€ and I get the same result.

Hi @danm

Welcome along. Shame your initial experience is bumpy but letā€™s try and sort that out so the subsequent ride is smooth and good.

Will you please confirm that you have downloaded and flashed the latest stable image with checksum 2fb750221eb19903a0afe779e0eb78a0?

What uSD card did you flash this to?

Confirm that the process and results are:

• Download image
  • Validate image against MD5 checksum
  • Flash image to uSD
  • Insert uSD into Raspberry Pi that is installed in a V4.4 kit
  • Apply power to Zynthian
  • Observe output on the 3.5" screen in the Zynthian
  • See error message on 3.5" screen

What is the exact error message?

Hi @riban,

Thanks for replying.

Just to clarify, Iā€™m running stock Zynthian V4.4 hardware with a RPi 4 with 8GB.

I downloaded:
https://os.zynthian.org/zynthianos-last-stable.zip
which appears to be identical to the 2021-09-25 release based on the datestamp.

My md5sum output is:
2fb750221eb19903a0afe779e0eb78a0 zynthianos-last-stable.zip
as expected.

My uSD is:
SanDisk Extreme 128GB (I had this lying around for use with my camera)

I followed all of the steps you list. However, I see nothing on the 3.5" display. Because of that, I connected the Zynthian to a HDMI display, which displays the boot log.

As was the case with hero04, the last line of that boot log reads:
ā€”[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

Iā€™m also going to try to boot from a build after the SystemD changes that were made around 2021-10-17, but I havenā€™t done that yet (I need to eat breakfast first).

Any other suggestions on what to try will be appreciated.

How are you writing the image? sounds a bit like your ejecting the sdcard before itā€™s flushed all the writes through.

And youā€™re flashing the unzipped image?

Itā€™s worked for me, stable image and a 64 bit raspberry pi writing using usbimager

Hi @Baggypants,

As indicated above, I used both ā€œddā€ (with ā€œconv=fsyncā€ arg) and the official ā€œrpi-installerā€. In either case, I waited at least a minute or so before ejecting, so buffers should be flushed.

Yes, Iā€™m flashing the unzipped image. As indicated, I am able to look at the file systems (ā€œbootā€ and ā€œrootfsā€) on the uSD prior to ejecting and Iā€™m seeing what looks like should be expected contents.

My expectation is that I did something stupid, but I havenā€™t found it yet.

Have you tried scowling at it?

Or maybe talking to someone outside the room and saying ā€˜Of course if it doesnā€™t work this time Iā€™ll use it as a pond ornament so the fish can enjoy itā€™ in a loud voice?

Someone said a large drive didnā€™t work for them. I canā€™t see why but maybe an issue.