Eurorack

i have to admit, i took a short cut… but i did the next best thing… i bought them cheap on ebay from the guy that designs and builds them. There is no rules in this experiment :smiley:

this and the oven might actually work out to be a decent solution. To be honest, the templates don’t add much to the costs from what i have seen… maybe another $5 or so… probably worth it if you have to buy 3 boards minimum,

This was my most insane experiment with surface mounted components. I estimate that it was 15000 connections hand soldered.

I was foolish enough to make another one after LED technology advanced until the driver chip was integrated inside the LED. Unfortunately, that board was still too big to go into an oven so I needed to hand solder that one as well.

Now I’m a member of a local Hacklab and have access to a small reflow oven. I’ve soldered few small boards that way & the results were really good. I’d certainly recommend ordering stencils to apply solder paste as it is slow & fiddly to apply by hand. The reflow oven has different temperature profiles to suit the solder paste being used.

And a microscope come in handy!

8 Likes

That . . . . is . . . . . . impressive . . . .

Very!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Really amazing!! Do you have some photo of your ledguitar at work? :star_struck:

Regards!

1 Like

This was the second version with 850 RGB leds. It has a Teensy spooling animations from an SDcard. The LEDs are so bright that you can’t see the details of the animation

I also got ARTNet control working. So it was a fun project, but the guitar itself is limited. There is so much electrical noise that I needed to use a piezo pickup instead of a regular single coil or humbucker. So it’s a telecaster that sounds like an acoustic guitar.

PS: It’s not me playing the guitar,

5 Likes

Cool LED guitar! What an insane amount of soldering :+1:

Btt: found some nice looking patch cables with bipolar LEDs
https://producertools.net/collections/eurorack-tools

1 Like

by looking at the photo of the guitar in its case it seems that the guitar is “self made”
Awesome hand soldering job :+1:

Whoooooahhhh!!!

Can you show something where the LEDs are making a light show?

I think I must have THIS guitar for my next gig!!!

1 Like

I’m just an novice. I was once in a Chinese phone factory where the guys were soldering 0201 components by hand without a microscope. That’s why the workers were so young; their eyesight get’s bad very quickly.

No me. But can I you shrink it a bit and lose 2 strings? I’d be very happy with a led bari uke

1 Like

3d printed parts arrived in the post this morning. Exciting.

5 Likes

Rejoice!!

There will be joyously rendered shrunken heads dangling from suburbia’s lampposts tonight !!

What files did you send them…?

Your comment reminds me very much of the time I spent in the jungle in and around Batang Ai, Sarawak, Borneo with the headhunters. They know a thing or two about dangling heads, mate.

The files mostly come from thingyverse. Here is an example…

I think I already showed you guys my ‘orange box’ with the blue arcade buttons… I noticed that the plate for this item in thingyverse is almost exactly the size of a eurorack plate (I may have to sand a mm or two, depending on the case I use, maybe not) so rather than redesigning or editing, I just went for it.

Looks close enough that I can work with it.

AAAh that new acyrillic smell in the morning…!

:smiley:

This probably sounds daft, but the ‘blank plates’ are because I have no exact idea what I will be mounting in them. They are cheaper to 3d print than it is to buy sheet aluminium. I will be going at some of these with my Dremel over time, as I begin to understand which things need jack sockets and dials.

Iterative design!! I’ve a pedalboard full of it !!!

Today feels very much like Christmas at Chez Brocolli. It’s snowing out side and I just got a present from Santa.

:santa::snowman_with_snow::snowman:

Thank you @jofemodo … I promise to make as much noise as possible with this!

3 Likes

A few :face_with_monocle: are mandatory, and of course, you could contribute to the Wiki too :innocent:

Enjoy!

1 Like