Extra Switches (sw1): Sustain Pedal, Panic Button, etc

Sorry, but as a musician I’m in the learning stage :woozy_face: and I don’t think, that you like to hear my voice :wink:. My expierence in programming is also not so high. I normally have to program on windows. But I plan to install a development environment.

I’m using Gorgona. I will get myself a second SD an test the experimental image.

1 Like

Don’t worry, it’s really all a community building effort and as someone who is enough of a musician to know how good real dedicated musicians are, it need to be nothing more than one note from a patch that you like, or perhaps don’t like.
At the end of the day the zynth is a musical instrument and it deserves to have it’s voice heard by fellow like minded souls . . . .(*)

(*) soft sentimental version aimed at tugging the heart strings…

Meanwhile. . . .

DO IT OR WE SEND IN RAMMSTEIN!

An extra connector for some extra switch :

Test is OK :
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 81 => 127
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 81 => 0
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 83 => 127
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 83 => 0
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 80 => 127
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 80 => 0
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 82 => 127
CH#00 CONTROL_CHANGE 82 => 0

Great feature, these configurable extra switches :slight_smile:

Remains to build the pedal board and to make a sound sample :wink:

5 Likes

Very good idea to use a DIN-5 connector for it!! Congratulations!!

Please, could you give some details about the configuration (webconf) and add some photo of the wiring, etc.? I’m sure that other @zynthianers would find it very useful !!

Thanks!

Yes, I started another topic for that:

2 Likes

Hi Jofemodo,
I read your thread from dez 1st 2018
how to i stall the sustain pedal and the panic button.

I do not know how to solder a “5pin connector” at the allInOne board.
In my Zynthian I see the flat cable and the connector is as long as there are pins.

Whats to do?

Which Zynthian version do you have? The original all-in-one board did not have the 5 pin breakout for the extra switches. These were added in the updated all-in-one board. Extra switches can, however, still be added to the original all-in-one board by soldering wires directly to the pins on the MCP chip. This is what I did. I’ll post some photos of this when I get home tonight.

Have you read the wiki?

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Adding_Extra_Switches

Regards,

thanx, yes photos are great. I have no plan.

Now I have 2 Zynthians.

The first one is a raspi 3 and i want to build it in my livetime projekt.
This is a Böhm CNTKeybed in a DX7-case with a Böhm 12/24 expander. When this Zynthian has a sustain-pedal, I have a small setup without missing sounds. :joy::rainbow:

2 Likes

The second one is a raspi 4 with a 5"hdmi monitor and a behringer UCA222 2x2 Interface. without knobs and faders. I try to play it without an own ui, just using the control channel and notes on the keyboard.

I don’t know how to add fotos, excuse Problem solved, thanx!

1 Like

Excuse me, sometimes I need time.

Yes I read it.

A picture shows the aio connector with 5 pins cross to the long connector. Ok
But what is with the switches?

I need the sustain pedal and the panic button. What numbers do they have? I think, the others are for further purposes. :slightly_smiling_face:

The wires for sustain pedal will end at fem jack at the case,
and the wires for the panic button will end at a switch.

The I have to edit the webconf entries.

I hope thats right.:+1:

Thanx for your serenity and helping.

From the wiki:

Connect some kind of switch between pins 2-5 and pin 1 (GND). The switches are normally open, closing to pin 1 (GND).

Click the “upload” button on the editor topbar. It’s the 7th from left.

Thanx! :+1::rainbow:

Sidenote/question: how faulttolerant is the os for just yanking the poweradapter out (as turning off zynthian)? Preferably a switch/button to call for shutdown-command would be nice. Maybe its already been implemented, in that case sorry for my ignorance

not a great idea to pull the power chord, especially if recording. There are occasions when it’s required if everything becomes unresponsive, but if you have webconf running you can power down or restart from there.

yes that has been my method for the time being. I cant get hotspot to work on pi 4 yet tho so its not perfect for stage performance etc. But say i just use it to play using sf2-player, will the sd-card get corrupted? Would it be better for me to mount system / boot as read only at startup?

/B

There are efforts in place to try to make the environment more rugged, that’s not to say it’s bad at the moment but as stage use is our expected environment we want to make things as rugged as possible. Simply playing should be ok (AFAIK).
Personally I’d prefer wired connections for anything on stage but I am looking at using wifi for vnc control. The ultimate test is try these things out and report the results. I’ve probably got the stage patter to explain almost anything away and since I’m holding a 12 string guitar I can always play something, but if its just you and a zynth and the device has decided to succumb, then it’s not entirely it’s fault if you haven’t tried out what you were going to do a few times in rehearsal first. . .

It’s like drummers keeping a spare snare drum back stage, not a problem till you put throu’ the head and then its a godsent.

haha yes!
I thought of doing a backup of the SDcard and have an exact copy taped on the underside of the keyboard just to be able to switch out the systemdrive if something happens. But yes, ofc i will try these things out in rehersal first. But i have my doubts

Regarding mounting as read only. What parts/partitions of zynthian is needed for write? What parts can i safely mount as read-only. An idea would be to add a option in webconfig, something like PERSISTENT MODE (for this “mount-as”-option)

Anyway om happy to try these ideas