Extra Switches (sw1): Sustain Pedal, Panic Button, etc

not a great idea to pull the power chord, especially if recording. There are occasions when it’s required if everything becomes unresponsive, but if you have webconf running you can power down or restart from there.

yes that has been my method for the time being. I cant get hotspot to work on pi 4 yet tho so its not perfect for stage performance etc. But say i just use it to play using sf2-player, will the sd-card get corrupted? Would it be better for me to mount system / boot as read only at startup?

/B

There are efforts in place to try to make the environment more rugged, that’s not to say it’s bad at the moment but as stage use is our expected environment we want to make things as rugged as possible. Simply playing should be ok (AFAIK).
Personally I’d prefer wired connections for anything on stage but I am looking at using wifi for vnc control. The ultimate test is try these things out and report the results. I’ve probably got the stage patter to explain almost anything away and since I’m holding a 12 string guitar I can always play something, but if its just you and a zynth and the device has decided to succumb, then it’s not entirely it’s fault if you haven’t tried out what you were going to do a few times in rehearsal first. . .

It’s like drummers keeping a spare snare drum back stage, not a problem till you put throu’ the head and then its a godsent.

haha yes!
I thought of doing a backup of the SDcard and have an exact copy taped on the underside of the keyboard just to be able to switch out the systemdrive if something happens. But yes, ofc i will try these things out in rehersal first. But i have my doubts

Regarding mounting as read only. What parts/partitions of zynthian is needed for write? What parts can i safely mount as read-only. An idea would be to add a option in webconfig, something like PERSISTENT MODE (for this “mount-as”-option)

Anyway om happy to try these ideas

Might be an interesting process trying to change an SD card on stage amongst the probable environment where you’d made the discovery that your piano aint a piano anymore . . . :-).

But it would be a good idea cos you can loose snapshots and samples at the very least
if the ssd get’s trashed.
So always carry a backup!

There’s a couple of threads that muse on these issues . . Zynthian Read Only and we do, of course, have multiple partitions so the pi has obviously walked this path. . .

In truth I’d keep spare zynth’s :smiley: but I’m waiting on a 3 way foot-switch to wend it’s oil wasting journey from China before pluging up zynthian-alm and trying it in anger powered by a battery pack… .

aah another member of the multiple zynth club !!! Where do you run the webconf?

Hold on … :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Found this:

Wich is quite interesting, a fine guide aswell. Altho josef wrote that zynthian should be pretty survivable thru powerdowns (unplug powercable) aslong as there is no writes ongoing.

I think i will go on and try the longevity of the os, if theres a sdcorruption - i will try the overlayFS :slight_smile:

It’s an old question and there is quite a lot of discussion about it in the forum … just search a little bit.
For instance …

Please, guys, it’s quite bored to repeat the same song … before asking something, you should search a little bit the forum archives. It’s easy … just write some keywords in the search box (magnifying glass in the topbar!!) and push ENTER. It takes less time than writing a question and you get instant result!! A kind of magic!! :thinking:

Regards

2 Likes

Ye its on me, see you at the top

1 Like

I’ve installed the switches and edited the webconftool.
Result: Stustain-pedal works properly, UI-Switches don’t work.

Please, send a full (detailed!) report. With this information we can do nothing.

Thanks!

I have a Raspi 3b with hifiberry and 3,5" screen.
Here´s what I´ve done: soldered the Pin 1-5.
1 is ground
2 is ui
3+4 is none (i gave them ui too)
5 is pedal

Then I edited the webconf like written in this thread.

Here are screenshots:
Wiring.doc (211.5 KB)

Perhaps you have cross the pins? 1=5 2=4 and so on.
Please check it again, Roman

Ok, i´ve turned 5pin-the connector I´m using. Now it works. But not if I´m pushing the knob, but if I´m releasing. The switch has to be NO, I think. Normal Open, or am I wrong?

This is the normal behaviour. Zynthian switches work in that way.

Regards

but not the sustain I hope.

I had a morningstar mc6. This is a “switcher”.
I could edit that a command comes at closing the contact, at openning, dobbleclicking and longclicking.
I could decide that it sends controller, pc, notes and sysex. Very good.
And the mc6 could send one value, or a string, it could toggle and the best was:
I could make 16 commands with one button, wonderful.

I think this features were good for zynthian, too

When bond to MIDI events it works as expected.
When associated with CUIA, then the release is used for triggering the event.

Ohhh! So many features to implement yet … :wink:
Step by step …

DONE! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

How was the case put together?

By screws.

It’s aluminium profile, 2x 3d printed parts on the sides and 3D printed bottom.