Installation of Aeolus... maybe successor?

Dear Zynthian,

as a classical church organist, I’m interested in a pipe organ engine. The Zynthian website promotes Aeolus, but it’s neither installed on my standard Zynthian, nor can I select it in the WebUI. Also a manual installation by ssh as explained in Link does not work, since I receive the message “Unable to locate package Aeolus”…

So is Aeolus phased out? If not, how can I install it then? If yes, which other (free) pipe organ engines can you recommend?

Thank you for your answers and have a good start in 2024!
Doc “Marc” Analog

Hi @DocMC!

The current version of Zynthian has an odd limiation for Aeolus in that it must occupy the first 4 chains (MIDI channels). As soon as you add a chain that uses any of channels 1-4, Aeolus is hidden from the menu. Remove those chains and you should see it in the list. We will be fixing this in a future version.

3 Likes

:laughing: That’s really a very strange bug… And in fact, deleting all my standard instruments, I can select it… and it seems to work :-D.

Thank you so much, now I think I have everything I need for my live performances (bigband on the on side, worship on the other).

Best regards,
Dr. “Marc” Analog

2 Likes

To be fair to @jofemodo, this isn’t a bug but a pragmatic way to implement the standard Aeolus engine that has this limitation but as I say, we have plans…

1 Like

OK, thank you for this comment. And @jofemodo , I absolutely appreciate your work on Aeolus. Just have been checking it for 15 min., but I’m already impressed by Aeolus: Good sound, good control (adding 16", 8", 4",…). Seems like an organist has coded something great and adapted it to a tiny box in the best way possible!

1 Like

Aeolus has its roots here
https://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/aeolus/
And there is also the first lecture, which explains how the synthesis is carried out.

2 Likes

Two days ago I was looking for Aeolus, and I couldn’t figure out where he hid, now I know that with busy channels I won’t find him :slight_smile:

1 Like

… the links seem to be obsolete… I can’t find them anymore.

Sorry for my mistake, I fixed the links and they should work.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks you!

This might also come in handy:

1 Like