Introduce yourself!

Hello all!

My name is Néstor Lorenzo.

I’m from Spain (Canary Islands) and im a profesional musician. I play (and teach) flute as my main instrument, but nowaday lot of bands call me to play my “Akai EWI 5000” in some gig. After think a lot in wich ways i could make my EWI more multifaceted, (i just was about to buy and ipad and then buy a lot of synths and expend lot of money…) i discovered this awesome project.

I’m linux user since 20 years (not profesional user, but just a user) and i love open source music production software. Actually I’m using KXStudio since 6 years as my main S.O.

This projects makes true something i wish for a lot of years: make open source music prodcution software more for “humans”.

Thank you a lot for Zynthian!

4 Likes

Hello Communnity !
Im Sebastian Seifert. Im a multimedia creator and media designer. I am also a full time electronic music producer with my project MICROFEEL, wich keeps me travelling and touring the planet with my audiovisual live-set in festivals like MUTEK, SONAR, SZIGET, and many cultural venues, art galleries, clubs, etc.
Im using lots of sound from Zynthian for my productions and also helping the team with UX and Communication.

Last June 2018 I have the honour to participate with Zynthian at the conference DINACON. It was a hacker camp in a wild island in Thailand and I was making music with Zynthian and the sequencer Circuit from Novation. Below a video and a link to an article about the conference at the HuffingtonPost.
VIDEO

ARTICLE

MY MUSIC

We keep in touch!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Zynthian community, Sebas! :wink:

Hi everyone. I’m Joseph, a web developer and film maker in London. I saw the first video demo of the Zynthian and have followed the project since. After the Pianoteq integrations was announced I decided to try building one so that I could make music without - for once - a laptop being open.

Hope to contribute back to this amazing project sometime!

2 Likes

Hello, everyone. I’m someone who used to be a very active musician who took a bit of a hiatus for a variety of reasons, and I’m coming back after a 15 year break outside of a few commissioned chiptunes, and the occasional times where I’d pick up an instrument to see if I could still play. My background is primarily with stringed instruments and keys, but I’ve always enjoyed synth - I’m amazed to see the wealth of options these days. A lot has happened in my time away. :slight_smile:

I’m also someone who has tinkered with some microcontrollers and pi-driven projects. I’d like to mention that the Zythian is the ONLY project that I have a) actually completed, b) put together properly the first time, and c_ has continued to work for more than a couple of days.

I’m looking forward to see what I can do with this - Right now, it’s mostly a pianoteq box, but I also use it to translate my USB midi controller to a proper midi out when I don’t feel like using a full computer for that role - It typically lives between a MPK mini and a Roland D-05 these days.

3 Likes

Excellent! Do we get a sample of you playing using the magnifect audio record feature?

Hello Zynthian community,

my name is Marius, I am foremost drummer but also I play keyboards in a little rock orientated band called Queen and the Gang.
I am interested in linux and free software for a long time (LAU/LAD list subscriber) and I first got a Moddevices Mod Duo. I played sounds from my Nord electro through a Neo Instruments Ventilator Leslie and another shimmer reverb box that became obsolete.
As I found out I could replace some sounds with obXD and ZynAddSubFX and that even Helm and Pianoteq were available for Zynthian, Holger pointed me truly in the right direction.
Because I wanted to switch from a PC to a Mac for live and on stage usability reasons, I use some proprietary win/mac software at home as well.
As I like to program sounds, I became a spare time sound patch developer in the European Sound Collective under the corrective mind of “PluginGuru” John “SkipPy” Lehmkuhl who is a sound designer for Korg for 30 years…
I am not so experienced building patches yet but Zyn, Helm and the other available synths are both inspirational as well as challenging.
I like the idea of replacing my Nord Electro and Roland XP80/Yamaha DX7 with MIDI master keyboards that are lighter to carry as I won’t miss them inside Zynthian.

I like the stability and the feature sets of Zynthian and I like the idea of brainstorming ideas for improving workflow. Still, I have to crawl through some old posts here and there to get to know proof of concept and philosophy of the implemented synths and features.

Luckily, I got my Zynthian so late in this process that it is fully usable for what I plan it for. Thank you for this little box that might replace, for sure, my E-MU Vintage Keys, Roland keyboard and my Kurzweil PC2 Rack.

I see there are just a few people who develop and implement features, and I know their spare time is invaluable. So I am very grateful for the Zynthian itself as well as the community.

Thank you and God bless you, Marius

5 Likes

Ignoring the little SOME people have to do to get blessings . . .
Do we get a sound sample for our delight…? :smiley:

I missed to hit the stop button first, but this is the Pianoteq Clavinet D6 with the MD Auto-Wah preset within Zynthian sampled with the built-in Audio Recorder functionality.

You might hear the presence of xruns on the recording but they weren’t audible live.
No further adjustments or plugins were used, just truncating of the original wav file and converting into ogg vorbis.

Greetings and God bless you, Marius

5 Likes

Thanks for that. The xruns are a pain, Small periods of silence in the file…

Love the last note!

1 Like

Hi, I´m Norbert, but my friends say Micki.
I´m from Düsseldorf, Germany and I´m 65 jears old. I´m a great friend of all open source things, but I had not time to work with it. That´s I wand to change now.

I have to learn how the linux-world works. I do not know the hardware and I do not know the software. To make it simpler, I like to make music and I think, when I´m learning to make musik with Zynthian etc. I can learn linux.

Regards
Micki

3 Likes

Welcome aboard some say Norbert, friends say Micki!

Would you go for the kit or join the distressed elements just outside the city wall who knock together various bit’s of raspberry pi and bits and pieces and STILL manage to make a zynthian?

Ohand have you taken the time to think what will you be submitting as your entry piece to attain full membership of all us amongst ourselves . . . ?

3 Likes

Hi wyleu,
please excuse me, but I understand nothing. Perhaps I’m new in this forum. And my english is not so good. So please, write in clear words.
Thank you, for your understanding.
Regards
Micki

He said hello and asked if you ordered any kit from @jofemodo.
There are some ppl here who are building a Zynthian without any parts you can order here.
No matter what, he is looking forward to see any pictures of it and even better to listen to any audio footage.

2 Likes

Hi Micki,

I could not have said it better myself!

I’m told English is hard. Sadly it’s all I know. :smiley:

1 Like

LOL, thanks.

Actually you did say it better.
But I have to admit, that the app Wyleu2English helped me. It’s AI based and has been feeded with the collected works of Shakespear.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Here is my first piano composition.

Nice …

zynth patch?

my zynthian is still in hyperspace somewhere maybe the canary islands. but this is the piece I will perform on the pianoteq when it finally arrives! it’s my first composition.