Issues with first run (no sound, no webconfig...)

Thx, starting the packaging (guess this is something in my range or expertise !).
I send the whole zynthian mounted, box included i suppose ?

the ampersand & means, that its started in the background.
you don’t need that.
The window titled JACK Audio Connection Kit is the one.
There is a connect button.
That dialog is of interest for us

Okay, thx mate !

Sometimes there’s clever vegan persons who tatoo themselves with japanese ideograms and ended up with “barbecue” on their skin, sometimes there’s part-time linuxians who use tragically inappropriate command lines…

Both come from naïve ignorance ^^

i’ll try again tonight, if it works i’ll post screenshot.

1 Like

Tried without the “&” => same result. Impossible to display windows of qjackctl…

Got 2 logs from xming :

first one :

Welcome to the Xming X Server
Vendor: Colin Harrison
Release: 6.9.0.31
FreeType2: 2.3.4

C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming\Xming.exe :0 -clipboard
-multiwindow

XdmcpRegisterConnection: newAddress 192.168.1.5
winCheckDisplayNumber - Xming is already running on display 0

Fatal server error:
InitOutput - Duplicate invocation on display number: 0. Exiting.

winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

And second one :

Welcome to the Xming X Server
Vendor: Colin Harrison
Release: 6.9.0.31
FreeType2: 2.3.4

Xming :2 -multiwindow -clipboard

XdmcpRegisterConnection: newAddress 192.168.1.5
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1366 height: 768 depth: 32
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
glWinInitVisuals:1596: glWinInitVisuals
glWinInitVisualConfigs:1503: glWinInitVisualConfigs glWinSetVisualConfigs:1581: glWinSetVisualConfigs
init_visuals:1055: init_visuals
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
glWinScreenProbe:1390: glWinScreenProbe
fixup_visuals:1303: fixup_visuals
init_screen_visuals:1336: init_screen_visuals
(–) 3 mouse buttons found
(–) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(–) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: “0000040C” (0000040c)
(–) Using preset keyboard for “French (Standard)” (40c), type “4”
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/75dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files (x86)\Xming/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\dejavu, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\cyrillic, removing from list!
Could not init font path element C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, removing from list!
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:2.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:2.0
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows Vista
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:2.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

Don’t understand (as usual !)

Couple of explanations and an apology, which I’ll do first. The & as mheldt said puts the task in the background but what does that actually mean?
Well ehen you run a command from the command line one of two modes of operation are possible
1/ running in the foreground:
The command line prompt runs the programme and hangs around waiting for the programme to finish and when you finish it (control-C) is one way of closing it or if it’s a graphic programme like qjackctl then the exit button or the x in top right corner of the window will finish it and you will return to the prompt where you could do something else… or

2/ running in the background . . .
Here the command line prompt starts the programme but immediately returns the prompt so you can run something else, which in the kind of thing we do with zynthians is quite useful, because this way you can run several different programmes at the same time from the one prompt (aseqdump for instance is another programme that will display midi messages that you might get running at the same time for all kinds of reasons ) .
The switch that allows you to do this switch is the &. If it has the & at the end you will run in background otherwise it’s foreground. By in large it saves you having to spin up multiple putty terminals do do things at the same time.

The problem you have seems as you suspect to be an xming problem and I’m afraid I’m not a great help there. You can run a seperate pi indeed a Pi zero-w can be picked up for a very small amount ( do make sure to get the suggested three usb & Ethernet hub to connect it to other things if you go down that route) That does at least allow you to run enough of a linux desktop to do the X-Windowing that way. As to Windows Xming I suggest a hunt of their support fora to get some hint. People have done it so it seems very possible and as with all these things the answer will be obvious once you know it but perplexing until you do.

Hello @arkhhh

So the first time Xming was already running according to the log.
When Xming is started, it starts the display server as a local service.
this service gets a virtual “local host IP” often named localhost or 127.0.0.0

The second log looks like mine, although there are three lines that are different:
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

This means my server display runs on the first monitor or video device.

Yours might run on a second display that is activated through your video card.
Just a guess, but do you have a second monitor running?

Greetings and God bless, Marius

Yes. Send me all … :wink:

Hello ! Again : thx guys for the help, but with à last weekend of headhaches i’m done for : impossible to Have qjack showing results (had only one display, tried to do things step by step but failed).
Currently packing zynth for a little travel to barcelona (too bad i Have no vacation ahead, i surely would appreciate to accompany him, long live ramblas !).
I definitely lack some serious knowledge to beat this (i see the stupid mistake coming !)
hope jofemodo will tell us what was the problem (except my ignorance :-))
see you

HI !
Zynthian’s sent, hope for good news soon :slight_smile:
regards

2 Likes