Just built a Zynthian and can't get past an ERROR screen

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

I bought a pre-built kit recently, and it arrived today. I followed the instructions, but everytime I boot the device, it gives me the ERROR screen.

I’ve tried disconnecting an reconnecting everything, I’ve tried to reburn the SD, the web access works fine, but I can’t see to find out what’s wrong.

I’m not a programmer or a super advanced user, but I can follow instructions, can someone guide me on what can I do?

You are going to need to use a couple of tools to examine various characteristics of the machine and the most important is ssh
Specifically

Putty

As to the error screen ( Just a static splash screen).
There are several things that can produce this, mostly to do with configuration. Questions such as

1. have you got the right Audio card configured?
  2. have you got the right display configured?
  3. Have you got the right encoder configuration?

You say you have a pre-built so, hopefully, everything is plugged together in the right way and the splash screen does at least demonstrate that that is connected ok.

Now one of the things about zynthians is that they will fight tooth and claw to keep running, if you stop them running they will start up again and to stop them running you have to do something from outside and it has to be done in a specific way.

Also zynthian has several different software sections that all need to be running at the same time to make it all work.
So it’s possible to have one section running but others crashed.

So what we must do is examine the running machine and see which bits are running and which bits ain’t.

One piece of information that you need is what the zynthian has chosen/been given as it’s IP address and has it got a much more useful name.

You say web access works so presumably you are accessing this as zynthian.local?

Can you login into the webconf and send us a screenshot of the output when you press the zynthian logo?

This should list the various bits and pieces that your zynth believes is it’s universe.

The next step will be to get a command prompt on the zynthian ( Do you know about Putty? Putty an SSH client)

This will be the mechanism we can user to shut down the running bits of the zynth and then we will try to start up the individual sections of the zynth to see what error messages it is producing.

Don’t feel too bad really the zynth can only produce a failed error message rather than a detailed break down on the LCD, so it is trying it’s best … :smiley:

1 Like

But first of all you need to check the webconf.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you very much for your reply. Here we go:

This is the screenshot of the webaccess:

I do know Putty, I’ve used it for other RPi projects, but my command lines abilities are quite rusty and limited. I got the SSH access runing, what am I looking for?

Thanks!

This is what I get when I try running the UI on the console:

Check out if you did everything right between the AllInController and Midi ports.

I think, so, I followed the instructions for assembly:

Like I said, I got a pre-built kit, so I didn’t do any of the soldering.

Oh :slight_smile: Is the ribbon connector to the AllInOne
board correctly connected? Tight?
@jofemodo, pls take over :slight_smile:

What is the link of the image you took?

And he is going to need more pictures

Yes try to include the url lines in screenshots it rules out lots of assumptions.

Are you using putty with the -X option? This will prove VERY useful if/when you use qjackctl to examine what alsa and jack have decided you are doing. (Connection/SSH/X11 Enable X11 Forwarding: this will allow you to start programmes like qjackctl and have the X window pop up on your remote machine . … This is a GOOD thing…)

I get the

None Attribute has no attributes get_ports

when I have multiple USB MIDI ports plugged in. So perhaps unplug any USB MIDI that might be involved. (This is a perennial problem USB ports and ALSA don’t seem to want to play consistently)

Especially when I have two devices both wishing to be MIDI channel One.

This will kill the start up dead. mheildt and myself have both complained about this one…

Can you kill off all the zynthian processes.?

systemd runs raspberry pi’s start up and stopping procedures and (ignoring the linux gods views) it seems to be the default.
Certainly in the zynthian world it’s what is firing up and bringing down the various components so it’s important that you know how to list the processes that systemd has started successfully and those that have fallen by the way side or might be restarting but failing on a regular basis.

systemctl | grep running will list the running services

systemctl -a should list stuff

but refer to =:
systemctl --help for the real story .

systemctl stop zynthian

will stop the zynthian components but the jack components are separate and you will need to stop all these to get a clear view.
If you can try to stop everything to the extent where you can simply run the test files in

mpg123 *.mpg files should work, but if you get access issues the odds are jackd is still running and has grabbed the alsa ports.

I tend to have a wav file around so I can run aplay fred.wav just to make sure with no zynthian components around you can make an audio file play.

The other aplay commands
aplay -lo

& aplay -L
should tell you way too much about your alsa config, but remember that jackd is normally running.

qjackctl&

will file up the jack config tool (and run it to your remote machine if you have the -X option enabled in Putty mentioned above) and this will tell you lots and lots about what is working or not.

keep checking ps -ef to see what is still running. . . .

Lot’s you can do but once you have stopped the ui then starting it up with the appropriate command line command

cd /zynthian-ui
./zynthian.sh ( ./ is often forgotten)

should display error messages that point towards the issues.

Hope this helps and keep trying…

I was looking at it again and I noticed that when I turn it on, only the MIDI OUT LED lights up. Is that normal or an indication of flawed cable on the two other midi ports?

The “hw:0” in the screenshot you sent probably represents the sound card.

I would carefully remove/reseat the sound card and the cables and then boot again.

I got this log running the systemctl:

login as: root
root@192.168.1.76's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Apr  3 15:09:18 2018 from 192.168.1.67
root@zynthian:~# systemctl
  UNIT                      LOAD      ACTIVE     SUB       JOB   DESCRIPTION
  proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded    active     waiting         Arbitra
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f201000.serial-tty-ttyAMA0.device loaded    active
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0-mm
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0-mm
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0.de
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f204000.spi-spi_master-spi0-spi0.0-backlight-fb_ili9
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f215040.serial-tty-ttyS0.device loaded    active
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f980000.usb-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1.1-1\x2d1.1.1-1\x2d1.1
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttyprintk.device loaded    active     plugged
  sys-module-configfs.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/module/co
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device loaded    active     plugged         780
  -.mount                   loaded    active     mounted         /
  boot.mount                loaded    active     mounted         /boot
  dev-mqueue.mount          loaded    active     mounted         POSIX Message Q
  run-user-0.mount          loaded    active     mounted         /run/user/0
  sys-kernel-config.mount   loaded    active     mounted         Configuration F
  sys-kernel-debug.mount    loaded    active     mounted         Debug File Syst
  tmp.mount                 loaded    active     mounted         /tmp
  systemd-ask-password-console.path loaded    active     waiting         Dispatc
  systemd-ask-password-wall.path loaded    active     waiting         Forward Pa
  session-c1.scope          loaded    active     abandoned       Session c1 of u
  session-c2.scope          loaded    active     running         Session c2 of u
lines 1-23...skipping...
  UNIT                      LOAD      ACTIVE     SUB       JOB   DESCRIPTION
  proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded    active     waiting         Arbitrary Executab
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f201000.serial-tty-ttyAMA0.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0-mmcblk0p1.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0-mmcblk0p2.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f202000.mmc-mmc_host-mmc0-mmc0:aaaa-block-mmcblk0.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f204000.spi-spi_master-spi0-spi0.0-backlight-fb_ili9486.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f215040.serial-tty-ttyS0.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/platf
  sys-devices-platform-soc-3f980000.usb-usb1-1\x2d1-1\x2d1.1-1\x2d1.1.1-1\x2d1.1.1:1.0-net-eth0.device loaded    active     plugged         7800
  sys-devices-virtual-tty-ttyprintk.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/devices/virtu
  sys-module-configfs.device loaded    active     plugged         /sys/module/config
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device loaded    active     plugged         7800
  -.mount                   loaded    active     mounted         /
  boot.mount                loaded    active     mounted         /boot
  dev-mqueue.mount          loaded    active     mounted         POSIX Message Queu
  run-user-0.mount          loaded    active     mounted         /run/user/0
  sys-kernel-config.mount   loaded    active     mounted         Configuration File
  sys-kernel-debug.mount    loaded    active     mounted         Debug File System
  tmp.mount                 loaded    active     mounted         /tmp
  systemd-ask-password-console.path loaded    active     waiting         Dispatch Password
  systemd-ask-password-wall.path loaded    active     waiting         Forward Password R
  session-c1.scope          loaded    active     abandoned       Session c1 of user
  session-c2.scope          loaded    active     running         Session c2 of user
  avahi-daemon.service      loaded    active     running         Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD
  backlight.service         loaded    active     exited          Turn on/off Screen
  console-setup.service     loaded    active     exited          LSB: Set console f
  cpufrequtils.service      loaded    active     exited          LSB: set CPUFreq k
  dbus.service              loaded    active     running         D-Bus System Messa
  dhcpcd.service            loaded    active     running         dhcpcd on all inte
  fake-hwclock.service      loaded    active     exited          Restore / save the
  getty@tty1.service        loaded    active     running         Getty on tty1
  htpdate.service           loaded    active     running         LSB: Start htpdate
  ifup@eth0.service         loaded    active     exited          ifup for eth0
● jack2.service             loaded    failed     failed          JACK2 Audio Server
  keyboard-setup.service    loaded    active     exited          LSB: Set prelimina
  kmod-static-nodes.service loaded    active     exited          Create list of req
  loadcpufreq.service       loaded    active     exited          LSB: Load kernel m
  mod-ttymidi.service       loaded    activating start-pre start MOD ttymidi
● networking.service        loaded    failed     failed          LSB: Raise network
  rc-local.service          loaded    active     exited          /etc/rc.local Comp
● resize2fs_once.service    not-found failed     failed          resize2fs_once.ser
  ssh.service               loaded    active     running         OpenBSD Secure She
  systemd-backlight@backlight:fb_ili9486.service loaded    active     exited          Load/Save Screen B
  systemd-fsck-root.service loaded    active     exited          File System Check
  systemd-journald.service  loaded    active     running         Journal Service
  systemd-logind.service    loaded    active     running         Login Service
  systemd-modules-load.service loaded    active     exited          Load Kernel Module
  systemd-random-seed.service loaded    active     exited          Load/Save Random S
  systemd-remount-fs.service loaded    active     exited          Remount Root and K
  systemd-sysctl.service    loaded    active     exited          Apply Kernel Varia
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service loaded    active     exited          Create Static Devi
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service loaded    active     exited          Create Volatile Fi
  systemd-udev-trigger.service loaded    active     exited          udev Coldplug all
  systemd-udevd.service     loaded    active     running         udev Kernel Device
  systemd-update-utmp.service loaded    active     exited          Update UTMP about
  systemd-user-sessions.service loaded    active     exited          Permit User Sessio
  udev-finish.service       loaded    active     exited          Copy rules generat
  user@0.service            loaded    active     running         User Manager for U
  zynthian-webconf.service  loaded    active     running         Zynthian Webconf
  zynthian.service          loaded    active     running         Zynthian User Inte
  -.slice                   loaded    active     active          Root Slice
  system-getty.slice        loaded    active     active          system-getty.slice

I see that three things on the list failed. What does this tell me?

Well the failure of jack2 is probably the most relevant.

can you type:

> aplay -l

and similarly

> aconnect -lo

These two will list the audio and midi hardware from the alsa perspective.

Then try running qjackctl& ( making sure you have the -X option selected in putty)

This will allow you to see the jack logs and also the connections.

Hi, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

So, here’s the message log from the qjackctl&:

19:37:22.286 Patchbay deactivated.
19:37:22.290 Statistics reset.
19:37:22.300 ALSA connection change.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
19:37:22.334 ALSA connection graph change.
19:37:48.604 JACK is starting...
19:37:48.606 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
19:37:48.636 JACK was started with PID=10297.
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
control open "hw:0" (No such file or directory)
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1667:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
19:37:49.330 JACK was stopped
19:37:50.126 JACK is starting...
19:37:50.145 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n2
19:37:50.173 JACK was started with PID=10314.
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
19:37:50.853 JACK was stopped
19:37:52.377 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

There are two screenshots of the application failing (I pressed the Start Button):

As I mentioned before your soundcard is hw:0.

“aplay -l” has been requested a few times, whats the result?

“”“aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus], device 0: HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0"”

Is what I see on my also recently purchased zynthian.

aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...

And I tried removing the sound card and resettling it yesterdat, sorry if I forgot to mention that. Also, thanks for the help, it’s been frustrating for me, mostly because of my limited skills, so it’s easy to forget to mention how much I appreciate everyone’s help!

So I think you have a hardware connectivity issue.

I’ve had some issues with the ribbon connection with hardware, great deal of noise on the lft channel (slightly better after pinching the connector down harder) and one of the midi inputs still doesn’t work.

Is the ribbon in good shape? I was thinking of buying a new ribbon and making one for myself.

Have you connected soundcard only and tried it?
Maybe the soundcard is broken.