Kit V3: Encoders not working [SOLVED]

Hello!

My V3 Kit just arrived today. I assembled everything prepared an SD card with the latest image, did boot: Everything was as expected (got to the Zynthian screen but Encoders not working yet).

I followed these steps:
-Set the Hardware to V3 through the web config tool
-Reboot
-Updated the software through the web config tool
-Reboot
-Triple checked the wiring - unplugged and replugged the encoders

Still, none of the encoders is doing anything, neither when I turn nor push it. Nothing.

Screen is working fine, touch screen is working fine.

I doubt I’d have gotten four faulty encoders, but how can I test that? Which of the encoders are supposed to do anything on the initial screen? Or is there a diagnosis screen or sth. I could reach through the touch screen?

Thanks for any help!

Ed: Through the touch screen, I got to one of the synth control screens. Indeed, none of the controllers are working. I’m a bit lost on whether this is a hard- or softwareproblem to begin with.

me too,

New v3 Kit arrived today. testet everything (my SD card died flashing the new downloaded image). startet the update script two times.
Any Ideea how to debug??

Greetings Jens

There are some options, but any I can think of is too much effort for tonight:

-Check the encoders: Remove them, get the pinout and check with a scope (my hope would be those were tested before shipping and should work)

-Check the 4 premade cables. Maybe there is faulty batch: Mine are crossover, but I haven’t seen the schematics to figure out if they are meant to be 1:1 instead.

-It looks like there’s a Motorola MCU on the display screen responsible for the encoders. If that’s the case, maybe it’s not flashed or flashed with the wrong image. Is there any way to verify whether the Raspberry can talk to it?

-Could be a bug sneaking in in the latest build, but then it should be broken for everyone.

-Let’s get some feedback from the team, I guess they can come up with lots more ideas.

Greetings

Ed: Should also be possible to at least check the push button by directly shorting out the connections on the display board. Would however need schematic, tiny tools and steady hand to do so…ha.

@jofemodo to the rescue

Hi guys!

1.) Could you send a screenshot of your webconf’s dashboard?

2.) Could you login into the Zynthian using SSH:

host: zynthian.local (or the zynthian’s IP⁾
user: root
password: raspberry

and send the output of this command:

$ gpio i2cd

It should look exactly like that:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: 20 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         

If the 20 is missing, you have a faulty Zynscreen (the MCP23017 is not working). In that case, i would replace your faulty Zynscreen ASAP.

Regards,

@JayBee, did you config your zynthian using the webconf tool? :wink:

Hi,
output of “gpio i2cd” is like your example.
I selcted Kitv3 over the webconfig UI in the KIT Menu.

Is it possible to check the encoder via a multimeter?

Output of gpio command:
root@zynthian:~# gpio i2cd
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: 20 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – UU – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --
root@zynthian:~#

Screenshot:

Topcase Wiring:

Ohhhh! It’s my fault, guys!! :relaxed:

I missed to include the 2 jumpers in your Zynscreen.
As you can see, there is a double 4 rowpin in the top of the zynscreen PCB. It should be 2 jumpers located in the positions 2 & 4, counting from left to right. Like that:

Note that in this photo the zynscreen is upside down, so jumper position counts from right to left :wink:

Please, excuse my little “lapsus”. If you can get 2 jumpers from any other broken device or unused circuit, great!! If not, i will send you the 2 jumpers ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Yippieeh :smiley:
Now it works. That things can happen.
I need no Jumpers.

Thanks

2 Likes

Ups!! Luckily it’s an issue quite easy to solve … :sweat_smile:

I will add a note to the wiki tutorial…

Regards,

Yeehaaw!
I also added the jumpers and now the encoders are working as expected!

Thanks for the quick help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

The two jumpers are missing on mine too ! It’s time to have some holidays for you perhaps… XD
I should have some not so far :slight_smile:

Hi !

Just received my kit, the two jumpers was missing, but i have old computers, so no problems :slight_smile:

Thank you again for this project, i’ve tested a little bit helm… <3 great softwares in this zynbox :slight_smile:

Ohhhh! Don’t doubt it!! I sent a full batch of packages without the jumpers (about 10) … :tired_face:
Luckily it’s an issue quite easy to solve … some envelopes with jumpers are cheap and fast :wink:

My brain needs some relax … yeahhh!

1 Like

Paper clip and insulating tape :partying_face:

A little rig to test components before shipping might help as well…hint hint :wink:

Hello,
I have received the V3-Kit recently, but the screen doesn’t fully work yet. It starts up and shows the zynhtian screen, and then the startscreen, but no reaction with the encoders or with the touchscreen. I can reach webconf and choose the V3-Kit, but still it is not working. The jumpers are in the right place, i have checked all wires and have removed all other controllers. I have even tried to use another raspberry (but same hifiberry) – still no reaction.
The screen has a little cut on the top-left edge - maybe because of the transport. Maybe the screen is the problem …? The command “gpio i2cd” shows the right output …

Hello @jofemodo!

We have successfully assembled the Zynthian v3 kit, it boots, and the touchscreen works just fine, and all looks very good!

The only problem is that none of the rotary encoders function, neither in rotation nor in pressing them.

I carried out the ‘gpio i2cd’ command via SSH under root, and got the exact expected output. No problem there. :- )

We also opened the Zynthian v3 case and checked the jumpers, and they’re there as expected.

Any ideas?