Kit V3: Encoders not working [SOLVED]

I’ve fixed the problem!

For anybody else who comes across this issue:

• Login to your Zynthian’s web UI
  • Go to the Hardware menu, and click Kit
  • Mine was on V2 for some reason, yet it’s a V3 kit, so change it to the appropriate one
  • Enjoy! :- )

Hi @HammyHavoc!

This is already explained in the wiki’s tutorial:

http://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/Building_a_Zynthian_Box_using_an_official_Kit_v3#First_Boot

Regards,

1 Like

I think I was overdue for a coffee! :- ) :coffee:

Hi there ! i’m getting the same problem actually with the kit v3 , i 2x checked everything with ssh etc. but i saw that when i try to update it on webconfig look like not working. It shows me that :
Updating zynthian-sys …
fatal: unable to access ‘https://github.com/zynthian/zynthian-sys.git/’: Could not resolve host: github.com
Executing custom update recipes …
Executing /zynthian/zynthian-sys/scripts/recipes.update.stretch/00_install_packages.sh …

do you have any idea to solve this problem ??
thanks in advence !

Your Zynthian is not connected to the internet

Hi everybody, please help! I’m afraid I’m having encoder problems to:
Finished today installing my V3 kit (all but case) in my studiologic keyboard controller (will send pics when all running) but encoders are not working.
I’ve been through all the process of loging in to web UI and choosing V3 kit in hardware menu and rebooting.
I also have jumpers in the good position (I even tried taking them of, no luck).
Only thing is I havn’t worked out how to send “$ gpio i2cd” command, to check if 20 is missing, but MCP23017 zynscreen shows up in green “like working” in main webconfig page!
Have checked build, wiring about 10 times!
Don’t know what to do?
Any suggestions?
Please help!

To fix the problem, pictures now might help :slight_smile:

Hi Haza,
could you describe the problem in more detail?
So the encoders are not working. THe screen does? Zynthian boots to the main screen, audio/midi working?

Hi @victorv!

It seems your zynthian has no connection to Internet. How did you connect your zynthian?

Regards,

Hi, Here is a video of my Zynth build, it’s a work in progress so still looks rough.
Today I tried changing power supply and later tonight I will change SD card just in case I get lucky!

-Answering questions from last to earliest:
Jofemodo: I have connected my Zynthian to my computer with ethernet cable and have opened webconfig page many times and choosed V3 Kit and rebooted. I hope that answers your question?
Emji-1: To describe my problem with more details: everything works fine apart from Encoders.
I havn’t tested all INs and OUTs but Midi IN and Audio OUT work fine. Though I do find the tactile screen is tricky, even with pen!
Would be fine only if the Knobs would work!
Haza

Pictures from the encoder wiring side would be great!

When your zynth is connected to the computer, how is the computer connected to the internet? by Wifi? What OS does your computer have?

My computer is Windows 10 and has internet access through Wifi Yes! Why?

Thanks for all your answers!!!

As far as I know windows 10 won’t automatially pipe the wired network traffic out through the wifi. As far as the zynth is concerned it’s a networking dead end.

I don’t have access to a window 10 machine but you’ll probably need to do something like this

Hi Baggypants, sorry you’ve confused me. What point are you trying to make?
Are you telling me that when connecting Zynthian to my computer through ethernet cable and login in to the Webconfig page to choose V3 kit in hardware menu and rebooting. It’s not actually working because my computer is not feeding through to the Zynthian, the necessary software from internet???

Yes, the Zynthian needs to have access to the internet during the update. If you don’t have a router which is connecting your PC and the Zynthian, you should setup the Zynthian so that it is connected with your WiFi.

You actually have two issues.

1. your zynth isn’t updating because it has no connection to the internet.
  2. Your encoders are not working.

I’m only trying to tackle number 1.

OK I now understand what I’m doing wrong now!
Thanks for clarifying Baggypants and Mheidt.
I’ll work out how to connect the Zynthian direct to my internet connection in the next few days and get back to you to tell you if I’ve managed!
Thanks again

1 Like