Kit V3: Encoders not working [SOLVED]

Hi @Haza!

Regarding the wiring photo, i observe some inconsistencies:

1. Top right encoder (CTRL-4) has inverted colors (green at right), but it’s OK because it’s not crossed. Altough harnesses should have same color ordering, some has not, what doesn’t affect to functionality if pin correspondence has been respected.

2. Bottom right encoder (CTRL-3) has crossed colors. This can’t work anyway. Harness is defective or you forced the connector. This encoder can’t work, but it shouldn’t affect to others.

Could you check if MCP23017 is detected from RBPi? Simply access by SSH and copy the output from:

gpio i2cd

see this comment:

Regards,

A little sample of success might help as well…hint,hint :face_with_monocle:

We are collecting them. :slight_smile:

I don’t think any of the encoder cables are crossed compared with earth other. The one inserted differently is also inserted differently at the other end. I do wonder though how connectors can be inserted fully the wrong way round. Check plugs are inserted the correct way and fully pushed in.

You are right, @riban. CTRL-3 is OK. Only CTRL-4 is color-reversed in both sides, but as i explained, it shouldn’t be a problem because is not crossed.

@Haza, please check the “gpio i2cd” …

Regards,

Hi everybody, thanks so much for all your suggestions, amazing to have such a great community around the Zynthian!

Concerning the encoder cables, I just received them like that with color code that varies! And I’m 90% certain I haven’t inserted them the wrong way round and it probably isn’t possible unless you brake something!

I’ll have some spare time to work on Zynthian tomorrow, so will look into all your suggestions and keep you inform of progress.

I understood yesterday night how to “with tactile pen”: Add an effect to layer and midi map keyboard controllers to Zynthian controls. Amazing piece of gear this Zynthian!!!

1 Like

Yoooopiii!!! it’s all working

Just spent two hours working on it:
-1st connected zythian directly to wifi spot and windows computer to zynthian through ethernet cable and with webconfig try to update. No success!!!
-Then unplugged all cable connection on Zynthian build and replugged them to check for the 10th time, no success!!!:grimacing:
-Then installed Putty on my Windows laptop to access Zynthian using SSH and send command:
$ gpio i2cd. Result was: command not found!!! :tired_face:

-As I was about to abandon, I decides to plug Zynthian directly into internet rooter with ethernet cable and choosed to update directly through Zynthian using tactile pen…

Hoooray!!!:partying_face: encoders working!!!

Thanks for all your support, I wouldn’t of made it on my own.

Congrats to Baggypants! spot on!

I will be making some hopefully good videos in the next few weeks (or maybe next few months!) about the Zynthain and my build.

Where should I post them ?

5 Likes

Why is there no sound in my posted videos?

Try to upload the video again, with different encoding.

Thanks!

1 Like

But it works for me … I mean, i can hear your video perfectly :wink:

Sound works for me too. Love that board. Goodness only knows why running an update causes the encoders to work. I was thinking they would be two unrelated issues but I’m over the moon it’s working!

Hi friendly Zynth community!
Posted a quick zynthian video on instagram this weekend, never had so many views!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4VN0BkiQbd/

3 Likes

I NEEEEED a joystick on my zynth now…

1 Like

Love to play with my joystick!!!

Sorry, couldn’t help it!

3 Likes

Ohhh yesss! My Akai MPK mini has a little cute joystick too … :grin:

Hello. Please forgive me, but did I get it right, that

!!! to get the encoders working you have to update via internet? !!!

Mine aren’t working, that’s why Im asking…

You have to access the webconf from your browser and:

• Update the software
  • Select your kit, problably “Kit v3+”

Regards,

Up and running in northern germany. Thank you so much.
Thorsten

3 Likes