Latest musical "effort" šŸ§ .. Thanks Zynthian

I wouldnā€™t apologize for your voice, itā€™s absolutely fine, I think it sounds very good in this type of song, very full and expressive.

If I were to offer any criticism, itā€™s that especially during the brass riff, the rhythm sounds a bit stilted, like the drums arenā€™t keeping time, and that throws the brass section off as well. I think it would be very hard to record the piano first and then try to match the drums to that. One suggestion might be to first record some basic drums by listening to a metronome or click track, to get the rhythm track steady, and then once the rest of the song is in place, re-record them to get the proper feel.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions. the battery is obviously midi and therefore itā€™s not wrongā€¦ the mistakes are mine. For the brass you are right and I have already improved something. As soon as I finish, Iā€™ll post the song here.
Many thanks

1 Like

I had the great fortune to find online the drum part played by Tullio dePiscopo in the live version (whoever wrote it is a cursed geniusā€¦)
Then I put back the piece recorded by me with the beautiful drum partā€¦
!!!REMIXED!!!
!!!REMIXED!!! For the second time
!!!REMIXED!!! New attempt with the voice, but Iā€™m still not good

Zynthian: Rhodes, DX7, 5strings Bass, OBX, SetBfree.
Native Instruments: All Brass
Arturia: Moog solo
EZDrummer: Drum (Tullio dePiscopo part)
Voice: mine

7 Likes

That is really good! I know you have expressed some lack of confidence in your vocals but for the most part they are spot on in this rendition. Only sometimes you let yourself down by the odd lapse of concentration in the vocal, like you need a producer to say, ā€œDo that bit againā€. It was only occasionally and for short periods like the end of a phrase or in some busy vocal bits where you needed to control breathing better (maybe). Excellent effort that could be even better if you overdubbed a few bits. I am not familiar with this piece so donā€™t know how it is supposed to sound but this version sounded good to me.

1 Like

Thanks Riban, I donā€™t like my voiceā€¦ Iā€™ve never liked itā€¦ not even when I was pianobarā€¦
Iā€™m interested in learning to play well, with beautiful sounds. This song is very difficult technically and playing a song like this is very difficult but I am learning a lot.
If I have the courage to put these songs on the forum itā€™s to get criticism and adviceā€¦ for free :crazy_face:

Listen to this songā€¦ itā€™s a masterpiece of soundsā€¦

2 Likes

One more thing Riban. In Neapolitan the last vowels of words are not pronouncedā€¦ For example: Guaglione = Guaglionn, Buono= Buonn etc etc.

In a beautiful Italian film, Benvenuti al Sud, the Neapolitans teach someone who comes from Milan that it is necessary to remove all the final vowels which, however, ā€œdonā€™t go to wasteā€ā€¦ because they are used to say: "Oh!, Ahhh!, Ehhh? " expressions that are used a lot in the South. :rofl: :rofl: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

5 Likes

Every day is a school day!

2 Likes

Itā€™s trueā€¦ I donā€™t know English but I know many Italian dialectsā€¦ which I love. :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

2 Likes

Hi @Lanfranco for sure a triangle is not a Grand Piano but once you play your instrument with some confidence and with the good mood it canā€™t be bad: Iā€™ve nothing to say about the way youā€™re singing.
Also, I wasnā€™t that much hurted by the ā€œbasicā€ drum track wich makes you so disappointed. Most important for me was the harmony, the SOUND, the global mix and they were all quiet good.
But for sure, now itā€™s even better :star_struck: and yes the guy who has provide the drum track has to be thanked.

2 Likes

In my musical adventure I have played with REALLY good singers (in particular with a singerā€¦ Alessandraā€¦ with the group that played bossanova) ā€¦ Listening to these people causes spectacular emotions that are never forgottenā€¦ and when you listen to the own voice, it is natural to compareā€¦ and realize the abyss that divides us. Now in modern music I canā€™t hear voices that excite me. I want to become a decent amateur pianist/keyboardistā€¦ and play with a good singer, bassist, drummerā€¦ I donā€™t believe in being able to do everything with the help of technologyā€¦ I love human ā€œerrorsā€ that make sense to music.
I hardly ā€œfixā€ things midi, because then everything becomes sterileā€¦ perfect but sterile. Here is an example of my timing errors that make everything more HUMAN:

1 Like

The triangle is one of the most difficult instruments to playā€¦ few notes but a sound that is heard a lot in an orchestraā€¦ you just have to be perfect! :wink:

I also donā€™t mind the drum part I put in the first mixā€¦ but Tullio is Tullio and itā€™s an honor to ā€œplay with Himā€

For my voiceā€¦ I also have Melodyne to see what itā€™s up toā€¦ Iā€™m waning and my sore throat doesnā€™t helpā€¦ Iā€™ll get my voice back as soon as Iā€™m betterā€¦ Thanks to all of you for the support morale and constructive criticism that I really appreciate :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Oh, but it does! I liked the husky sound. :smile:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: The hoarse sound is always mineā€¦ Iā€™ve been smoking Tuscan cigars for 10 yearsā€¦
The problem is intonationā€¦ as I donā€™t fix the notes with the quantizer, I donā€™t want to fix the notes of the voice with Melodyneā€¦ Too easyā€¦

2 Likes

Agree with riban on the vocal. The hook still needs a little more fluidity, for want of a better description.
The drums come in beautifully.

1 Like

Butā€¦not feel that it is waning? I looked with Melodyne and Iā€™m half a tone down :pensive:

The drums are by Tullio dePiscopoā€¦ the historic drummer of Pino Danieleā€™s SuperBandā€¦ I believe they fit wellā€¦ :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Thank you very much anyway for your appreciation. Next week Iā€™m going down to Cesena as a volunteer for the weather disasterā€¦ But then when I come back Iā€™ll do my voice again.

3 Likes

As I have already written, I am making an ā€œdiscā€ with songs by Pino Daniele aloneā€¦ It will be a One Man Band work where, in addition to playing difficult music, I will try to put a little of my taste in order not to make a ā€œcopyā€ (certainly worse). Originally I only played real instrumentsā€¦ but then I realized that at least the drums were better to entrust to a software (waiting to find a good drummer and a singer).
This is the last song I recorded in a funky version. AnnarƩ by Pino Daniele
Update voice
Rhodes, DX7, Pad, Hammond: Zynthian
Synth: MiniMoog
Guitar: Omnisphere
Bass: Yamaha bass
Muted trumpet: Native instruments
Drums: EZDrummer

6 Likes

Given the beautiful spring :roll_eyes: ā€¦ all my free time is for music. In two days I recorded another piece by Pino Daniele ā€œSotto Ć³ soleā€ (under the sun). I have to find a more interesting ending, but I like the South American climateā€¦ reminds me of when we used to play songs by A.C. Jobimā€¦

Update voice
Piano, Rhodes, ACGuitar, Bass, DX7 : Zynthian
Drum: EZDrummer
Sax: Native Instruments
Guitar solo : Omnisphere

5 Likes

To rest a bit from Pino Danieleā€™s songs which are very difficultā€¦ I recorded a song by another Italian giantā€¦ ā€œPrendila cosĆ­ā€ by Lucio Battisti. I love this song because it has a great ā€œthrowā€ (someone can tell me how to translate the word ā€œTIROā€ into English?.. :slightly_smiling_face:)

UPLOAD new voice @le51 docet

Zynthian: Rhodes, Pad, Synth, DX7
Yamaha: Bass
Ibanez: Elektroacoustic guitar
EZDrummer: Drum
Native instruments: Tenor sax, vocal background
Arturia : MiniMoog solo

7 Likes

I would say ā€œthis so special italian touchā€ :wink:

itā€™s really well done @Lanfranco , congrats, you made my day !

A personal feeling: the voice track is too much unbalanced.

And a question: Arenā€™t they any good sax instruments in Zynthian ?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Thank you @le51ā€¦ you know that I really appreciate constructive criticismā€¦ Is the voice too unbalanced in the sense that the PAN is too shifted on a channel? Because Iā€™m trying to use a technique that a singer friend taught meā€¦ That is copying the track (mono) of the voice onto another track, shifting the phase by 1Microsecond and moving one track to the right and one to the left. Thank you

I LOVE Zynthian, but certain sounds like drums or horns, I prefer sampled ones.
Then, as you see in the list of used instruments, if I can, I use real instrumentsā€¦ With Pino Danieleā€™s songs I canā€™t use a guitar because HE plays it really wellā€¦

However, three out of seven instruments are from Zynthian :revolving_hearts: :heartbeat: :revolving_hearts: :heartbeat:

4 Likes