Latest Pianoteq with Oram

Is it only me and my setup or do you have the impression, that the latest Pianoteq version (on Oram) sounds more muffled than used with previous versions?
Or is the volume just too low in comparison to other engines?

Hello,

Maybe it sounds like that because of the lower sample rate of 32KHz.
Although I don’t know if this was the same with old versions, too.

32kHz is an unusual setting. The default Zynthian samplerate is 44100 and Pianoteq is configured to use half of that. I am lobbying to increase the default to 48000 but PT would still only run at 24000.

2 Likes

It would be great if you could make PT do that;
I’m petitioning!

Pianoteq does do this! It is configured to run at half the Zynthian samplerate because this makes it work. (Full rate causes xruns.) Individuals can change their own Zynthian samplerate in webconf HARDWARE->Audio, e.g.
I want the default rate to be 48000. This is the standard in most industries. It is only CD production that drove the music industry to adopt 44100 (or its multiples - which makes no real sense). One reason I want to use 48000 is because jamulus only works at that rate (due to constrains of the codec used) but it does also five a better sound to Pianoteq whilst not triggering xruns. (Pianoteq runs at 24000 fps giving a maximum frequency response of just under 12KHz.)

2 Likes

@riban The default config with sndhifiberry is 44100 kHz. Can I change it to 48000 kHz with no problems?
Screen Shot 2024-04-21 um 10.21.00

Yes! I run my Zynthians at 48000.

1 Like

@riban
I appreciate your fast reply and help!

But actually, this was not what I meant. I am aware of the kHz parameter.
But It’s more as if the reverb or any other fx settings are different to what I was used a year ago.
If all the other engines had the same, I would say, I am getting old :slight_smile: