MicroDexed - DX7 to go

Ahhh … BTW … i’m ready to try MicroDexed :wink:

5 Likes

Of course I like it! But I already have cases and only need front (and back) panels. Will show pictures soon.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

:+1: Very good! I am currently writing the manual. When it is ready you will be the first one who can build a MicroDexed (hmmmm… what does that remind me of? :wink: )

Regards, Holger

2 Likes

Ramón can also build front panels. I think that you only need cut, anodize and serigraphy. It could be cheap. When you have the design, you could ask him …

Regards,

Just to keep the thread alive. :wink:

Before sending the first (alpha) kits, I have to do the following:

• connect the encoders
  • getting LCDs and encoders for the kits from China (this may take up to four weeks)
  • writing some code for the UI (selecting bank, voice and volume) - just as a first start for the UI
  • write a build manual

I think this will take some time… so stay tuned!

Regards, Holger

10 Likes

Would you consider using a OLED 2x16 display? More expensive, but so much better looking. Adafruit has them. Cheaper from China.

Currently not, because it would make the UI design more complicated (…for me. What I mean: I know how to use the LCD and I have so much things to do to get this project running, so I don’t want to change the design now).

I think MicroDexed should be more a kind of a playing instrument, so a LCD based UI is IMHO enough. If you need more flexibility with programming: No problem, MicroDexed understands Yamaha-DX7-SYSEX :slight_smile: You can use an external programmer (software or expensive hardware) or create sounds with the VST of Dexed and copy them to the SD card. But I will also add a way to change parameters with the encoders and LCD in future releases.

But, perhaps the next version will have an OLED?

Regards, Holger

Just wondering WHY DX7 hardware programmer is so expensive :wink:

1 Like

You own this programmer???

I am thinking of using a module with one encoder, a LED ring around and a small uC onboard which “speaks” a simple protocol (I2C?). With about 60 of those I2C-encoders a DX7 editor would be sooooo coool!

Regards, Holger

No, I just played with it for a week.
But it’s so expensive that, with the same money, you can buy two microsoft surface pro 4 tablets, install CTRLR and have a tons of custom panels, like the one I used on the Nova serie :slight_smile:

…or the Roland D50 one

…and why don’t talk about the monster: the SY77 :smiley:

(how the hell did yamaha think that a single data entry controller was enough to program that thing?!)

Ok ok… I’m off topic. About the hardware version, in hardware panels I quite don’t like encoders when a potentiometer should be used. Yes, potentiometers are a PITA when changing from one preset to another, but there is some workaround (like the “catch current value” used by modern novation synths). And, well… it’s a “feeling” matter… like those “new” Moogs with encoders, just… no! :slight_smile:
I want to build an hardware control panel for my Mininova, but there will be blood…ahem… potentiometers. MANY potentiometers… :smiley:

2 Likes

Because apparently about 95% of the ones that came in for repair still had the original factory presets.
There is an opinion that memory presets were a major backward step for creative synthesis . . .

1 Like

Yep, a very good reason.

(Elka Syntex Preset #46, anyone?)

Aaah you see open up a DX7 enthusiast and deep deep down they are polyphonic analogue right throu’

A break throu’ bit of Dx . . .
:slight_smile:

Course, some of us grew up on Alpha Dials . . .

I still have one :wink:

1 Like

That’s very nice software… will try to find a DX7 panel.

http://ctrlr.org/yamaha-dx7-v1-0-panel/

3 Likes

New pictures from the prototype:

I have some of these cases, but they you will have to cut out the front and lasercut the front and back panel by yourself. I currently have no lasercutter.

I am also waiting for some parts from china for the kits…

6 Likes

LASER? It’s basic metalworks… all it needs is a couple of metal drill bits and a nibbler :wink:

BTW I loved those general purpose cases, and I used a lot of them (plastic version) in the past. A loooooong time ago, aluminum ones were too expensive so we recycled all those Hayes-like modem cases, building new front and back panels in wood. WAY WAY WAY before 3D printers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me, too. My case was a Rittal CMC-TC system. We have replaced them with newer versions. The inside parts were given to the recycling yard and I kept the housing :slight_smile:.

Regards, Holger

1 Like

Hm… I have some problems with the Linux version. I cannot create any working binary or plugin. Have you already used CTRLR on Linux?

Also the DX7 panel seems to have some bugs (sys the internal analyzer)…

Regards, Holger