MIDI shield on selfmade Zynthian

That is a very typical Midi output arrangement.

1 Like

Thanks Wyleu.
I’d like to put two leds (one to indicate outgoing flow and one for incoming flow)… If I don’t bother you, can you tell me where to put them?
It seems to me a waste to use an IC that has 14 pins and then use only 5… isn’t there a more suitable component? I’m asking due to space issues
Thanks

To thank you, I enclose the image of our Mother Earth at 10.30 UTC

If anyone lives in the other hemisphere, ask. (Image Meteosat)

Europe and North Africa:

1 Like

The 7414 is a schmitt trigger that uses electronics to turn the slight ramp of an digital signal into an emphatic edge which as MIDI is a current based system means that the signal is crisp and has well defined edges. Without these triggers the data signals can get rounded in travelling down long cables and become intermittent. The spare trigger chips could easily be used to drive a led connected to +5v or +3.3v via a current limiting resistor with a value of about 600 ohms or so depending on how bright you want it to be. Make sure you do use a resistor or too much current will pass which isn’t a good idea. Use just one trigger or indeed three and because each trigger inverts the signal (that’s the meaning of the circle on the output of the trigger) the led will light up when midid data is being passed.

May be this can be better if you can use it :
https://wiki.zynthian.org/index.php/MIDI_Network

wyleu:
So can I connect a led to a pin (4,6,8,10) that will send the led to GND and it will light up?

Wapata:
The MIDI Network is interesting… I’ll study it… as I said, I’m completely ignorant of MIDI.
Thank you both

Just connect the appropriate input pin to the same pin the MIDI data is coming from and connect the output via the resistor and the LED to the positive rail, making sure to get the LED the right way round.

Perfect! Many thanks.

The new midi IN+OUT shield selfmade… :thinking:

3 Likes

Interface finished and working… now I can say that the Zynthian is finally finished!!! :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

No project is ever truly finished!

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:… this is true… Let’s say it’s finished so far. but you were waiting for me to end up making a revolution to your splendid project?

May I ask you and Jofemodo if I did it right?
I plugged in the interface and selected: “Route MIDI to Output Ports”…is that right? (it works but…)

… rightly it loops if I select usb sound card as IN and OUT. I did all of this to learn and try to understand MIDI. My aim was to connect the master keyboard to the Zynthian via USB so that from MIDI OUT I could send the signals to the DAW instead of connecting the master keyboard to the Mac via USB and making a longer ride which gave me some latency. Using the MIDI Out I saw that I no longer have latency… is this thought right?