New Hifiberry card - Pi5 only, 8x output!

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac8x/

I’m assuming that a 4in/4out, or maybe an 8in/8out, will follow. Add a hardware matrix mixer and I am in paradise.

1 Like

Yes a card with multiple inputs and outputs would be good. I assume they are using the increased quantity of I2S on the RPi5.

I doubt a hardware mixer is likely unless someone develops a multi-I2S chip with that functionality but we do have that functionality in Zynthian so let’s hope there is a multiple input & output card at some point.

1 Like

I was (briefly) impressed at the linux driver that came out for the Scarlett series not that long ago - I had a 6i6 that worked for a while (was always a bit buggy and seems to be permanently dead now) and it, along with some of the other of that line, has a hardware mixer in it as well as the ins and outs, so I’ve been eyeing an 18i20 as a bit of an ersatz digital mixer…

I have a UMC1820 but have been recommending the slightly more expensive Tascam US 16x08 which has 16 analogue inputs and DSP capable of EQ and dynamics on 8 inputs.

1 Like

Maybe to early, but would 8channels work with the zynthian platform in general. Only Stereo out is realy a blocker for a system with so much synths and fx.

Multiple inputs and outputs are fully supported by Zynthian. By default the kit has 2 inputs and 2 outputs but you can use a USB audio interface to change this, for example I have a UMC1820 and benefit from 8 analogue inputs and 10 analogue outputs. You can select which inputs feed which audio chains and you can route each chain directly to any output (or pair of outputs for stereo). Similarly you can route the main mixbus (which is effectively just another chain) to any output.

3 Likes

Thats great. I allready klickt the order button…
I will report.

That’s great! How do I set up a USB-audio Interface on oram latest? Via webconf-Hardware-Audio? Custom Kit?
Any hints are appreciated.

This is anwerd here. please stay pn topic.

In webconf:

• HARDWARE->Kit select “Custom” then save.
  • HARDWARE->Audio change Jackd Options hw:sndrpihifiberry to the name of the soundcard found by aplay - l, e.g. hw:UMC1820
  • Reboot
  • Hope!

FYI My Jackd Options are: -P 70 -t 2000 -s -d alsa -d hw:UMC1820 -S -r 48000 -p 128 -s -n 2 -X raw

2 Likes

Perfect, will try and report back.

I recieved the card and also a raspi 5.
With custom it doies not worked. I choose Hifiberry DAC+ and changed the driver.

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac8x

I use the oram test system:

zyncoder: oram (c575089)
zynthian-ui: oram (b1194d5)
zynthian-sys: oram (bd7fc49)
zynthian-data: oram (97355e2)
zynthian-webconf: oram (baba2ca)

But it seems i have only 2 output channels. Do i need to set the available sound channels?

(venv) root@zynthian:~# aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
    snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac8x, HifiBerry DAC8x HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
    Direct sample mixing device
default:CARD=MIDIFlex4
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=MIDIFlex4
    Default Audio Device

How many output channels do you see in the audio routing menu? (Chain options)

Regards

Ohh, this looks interessting.

I need to do some audio wiring. I will report if i get an output

I thought that the DAC8X would only work with the Pi5, and that Zynthian (in any flavor, stable or Oram) did not work with a Pi5 (yet). What configuration are you testing with?

HaHa, Great. I am impressed this works out of the box. I checked all channels.

@tunagenes I am using oram from 01/03/24 with a raspi5

I had one issue at the first start. Blinking act led code saying spi eeprom error. But maybe this happend because i had a nvme adapter HAT installed in parallel to the sndcard.
I needed to flash a sd card wich restored the boot loader. I removed the nvme HAT of course.
After this zynthina bootet and i made updates.

You would need to configure the controllers you want in the “audio levels” screen. You can do it from webconf->hardware->audio.

BTW, it seems the Pi5 is already working quite nicely with Zynthian. I’ve 2 serious issues in my list:

• hifiberry -dacplusadcpro driver not working
  • MIDI tty is not working

But almost everything else is now working. We are really close.

Regards

Do you mean mixer controls?
What will this do?
I think for me its working. i will do mixing outside zynthian.